Amazon Firestick and UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: Amazon Firestick and UMS

Post by Nadahar »

nouse wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:47 am I hope you are not doing this as a hobby :)
I'm afraid it's worse than "just a hobby" - it's more out of "pity". I used to be an UMS developer, but we parted ways a couple of years ago and I'm now developing a fork called Digital Media Server. Since a lot of the code is the same between the projects, I keep an eye on the forum to pick up any issues/bugs that might also apply to DMS. But I'm not supposed to provide support for the project that I'm no longer a part of - but sometimes (too often IMO), I can't stand to watch users getting no reply for things that should be answered. Thus, I keep "giving in" and offering some advice.. ;)

On one side I don't want to help, since there are others that should do this and I would rather spend my time on DMS. On the other side, this isn't the users' fault, so I can't quite stand letting them suffer if I think I can offer some quick advice that might point them in the right direction.
nouse wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:47 am That said, when i change the device config,
the following is added by UMS (its just the device id):

Code: Select all

# Custom Device profile
# See DefaultRenderer.conf for descriptions of all possible renderer options
# and UMS.conf for program options.

# Options in this file override the default settings for the specific Vimu on AFTT device(s) listed below.
# Specify devices by uuid (or address if no uuid), separated by commas if more than one.

Device = uuid:40bba8e6-f428-4652-b220-2034a5b35d22
Is this OK or shall i # it out?
I don't quite understand how you have added it for this to happen, if you just put the file in the "renderers" folder in your installation folder, UMS shouldn't edit it AFAIK. It doesn't do any damage when testing though, all it does is to "hard link" the configuration to your concrete Firestick. The only negative consequence of doing so is that it won't work for other Firesticks.
nouse

Post by nouse »

Well, then, thank you very much for your efforts.

Your new profile worked well, but today, somehow, the renderer was randomly changed, and produced a lot of errors. Unfortunately, i have no tracelogs, but can you imagine what has happened here?

13:18:33 INFO  Started playing 160426 AKBINGO! ep387 [720p.h265.mini].mp4 on your Vimu on AFTT #subs shown
13:18:51 INFO  Stopped playing 160426 AKBINGO! ep387 [720p.h265.mini].mp4 on Vimu on AFTT # subs shown
13:18:54 INFO  Started playing 160503 AKBINGO! ep388.mp4 on your Vimu on AFTT #hardsubbed anyway
13:20:34 INFO  Stopped playing 160503 AKBINGO! ep388.mp4 on AS-AFTT[DMR] # changed renderer?!?
13:20:38 INFO  Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
User-Agent: GTVBox/1.0 GTVMediaPlayer/1.0
13:20:38 INFO  Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
13:20:40 INFO  Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:
13:20:43 INFO  Started playing 160510 AKBINGO! ep389 [720p.h265.mini].mp4 on your AS-AFTT[DMR] # no subs shown
13:21:22 INFO  Stopped playing 160510 AKBINGO! ep389 [720p.h265.mini].mp4 on AS-AFTT[DMR]
13:22:27 ERROR Failed to send action "GetPositionInfo" to AS-AFTT[DMR]: Error: Current state of service prevents invoking that action. Connection error or no response received.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Did you launch one of the other DLNA "apps" on the device? The problem is that UMS assumes that one IP address only has one renderer, and this assumption can lead to some issues if your start different renderer software on the same device. I know it's a logical flaw, but for most devices it is true, and it greatly simplifies "recognition" in that as soon as UMS has "identified" a renderer on a certain IP address, it just looks up to IP and gets at "match" on all subsequent requests. There is a lot of communication going on at times, so it would be problematic to have to do the full "resolution" for every connection.

The reason I ask is that I can't remember seeing that user-agent in your previous log from the Vimu software. That said, it might be that they all support pretty much the same stuff (but then again, it might not be..), so it might not be a big deal if multiple "apps" are recognized as the same. Vimu doesn't send out any user-agent that is useful, it is very generic and doesn't identify the application in any way. As such, I couldn't fill in a user-agent pattern in the configuration, as it would match all kind of other devices as well. You can always try to edit the configuration and specify this at the "UserAgentSearch":

GTVMediaPlayer
That might lead UMS to see this user-agent, wherever it comes from, as the same device, and avoid (so much) confusion.
nouse

Post by nouse »

I have uninstalled every other DLNA-enabling App on the stick and i) subtitles are always recognized now and ii) there is only (the correct) one renderer left in the list.

Thank you very much!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Good to hear, thank you for the feedback.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

This continues at https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ssues/2042
Thanks for the work done here
Trebly

Post by Trebly »

Hi,

Sorry, I have been out for 8 days.

You will find joined the "trace" of the start of UMS with the current configuration.

The players on line are only :
A- The TV : [TV] samsung LED 40
On the TV (this is not clear form me how the 2 modes are hold by the conf that I developed based on the F5505 conf file)
A1 - the connections : allows selection of an input (shows the Lan and HDMI) displayed on top and into this list my UMS (his name)
A2 - the SmartHub (Anynet+) and in SmartTV the "Photo" and "Video" which are quite the same as with the direct connection on the uPnP source
B- The Amazon FireTV classic which is connected to the TV accessible via A1 (same role as SmartHub)

UMS could normally find connections to players :
- 192.168.1.15 : the TV
- 192.168.1.41 : the fireTV
and
/192.168.1.18 found on network interface: name:eth0 (Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller) : my computer with Created socket: /192.168.1.18:5001 of UMS

I have defined some connections to a media disks and to the local Windows
For now alll of this do not functions well :
- hidden video or images : unable particularly to display any image from UMS connection as uPnP server accessed directly from TV (Lan ethernet)
- video data with FireTV (Wifi) with real bitrate near 5 or 6 Mb/s (1s or video transmitted each 5s)

Joined the full zip of trace and conf files .

Best regards

Trebly
Attachments
ums_dbg-c00512-7.zip
Debug with trace Trebly 05/12/2020
(312.96 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Trebly,

Thanks for your logs. I can't see any attempts to play a video on the Fire TV Stick in these logs. If you're saying that videos above 6 Mb/s are not able to play in realtime, that is usually either a network or CPU limitation.
Also those logs are not in TRACE mode, it looks like you have selected the "Filter" dropdown at the top of the Logs tab, but that only changes what is displayed on that tab, so please make a new set of logs after changing to TRACE mode using the "Log level" dropdown at the bottom of that tab, and then playing a video that has the problem. I apologise for the confusion.
Trebly

Post by Trebly »

Hi,

I apologize but I had not understood that I had to send the trace for requests coming from the differents mediaplayers involved.

I send you two examples where you can view the reading actions :
1- by direct TV access (lan ethernet) and SmartTV
2- use FireTV with VLC and KODI

Details :
Here are two packs with only "DEBUG" level :
1 - Contains
a- Starting UMS : then connects to TV (using the conf "Samsung-F6650(from-F5505).conf") and to the fireTV (AFTT@ES on conf : Amazon-FireTVStick-bty-2b.conf)) using normally the conf
Amazon-FireTV...
b- Activating functions on the FireTV
1- KODI mode Network uPnP
- Find the server but nothing on (just display the name BTy-UMServer-Z98 (button OK have no action)
2- VLC mode network uPnP find the server but nothing to display (displays directories but nothing to display)

2 - Contains
a- Starting UMS : then connects to TV (using the conf "Samsung-F6650(from-F5505).conf") and to the fireTV (AFTT@ES on conf : Amazon-FireTVStick-bty-2b.conf)) using normally the conf Amazon-FireTV...
b- Connects to BTy-UMServer-Z98 using "select connection on the TV (displays all connections by LAN ethernet 1Gg and HDMI)
1- Connect to BTy-UMServer-Z98 :
- Get the photo
- Get the icons of video but don't display the waited mime : MVI_7974 display the right mime type Quicktime with 54Mo (short), while any others appears with mimetype = mime_type_auto with size 0b begin is displayed with alert ("risk to not be displayed") and after "Network failed"
2- Connect with SmartHub same

Nevertheless some problem can come from the problem of the job of preparation of data by UMS which could be not ended. (see my remarks)

Best regards

Trebly

NOTES __________________________________________________________________________________
A lot of other questions but also answers got by using and testing the configuration

The problem changes while time is passing and while I perform the tests, I get different result with the same configuration.
It seems that UMS needs near two hours or more to be ready to display everything and it is, for now, quite impossible to know if the problem comes from a configuration problem of from the fact that UMS is not ready to display all contents, and more if local software like KODI or VLC have not ended to prepare their own content to display while they are sending complementary requests to UMS.

I have performed a test this morning (05/18) and nothing where displayed else than the directories by VLC or KODI.
This afternoon (yesterday), as I had let UMS running 3 hours, I got everything wished with only two failures :
- For most of the video in .MOV ( from a Canon EOS70D ) 1080P Total bits/s 32.458 Mb/s 25i/s Transmission speed 1.588 Mb/s (audio 48KHz) :
- the mime type is not recognized : displays infos : mimetype = mime_type_auto size = 0b except for one without reason found which displays the type quicktime and the size (small) 55Mo
- Video is not regular and with KODI I can have with .mov the sandbox showing loading during more than ten seconds for 3 seconds of display while the same video are normally displayed by other means.

The reason why I have difficulties to understand and make the test and define sets of parameters come also from the fact that there are several origins :

1- The update of data by UMS which seems not the same and not regular depending of the mediaplayer used and is very long :
Note that the test is done for near 40Go of data for 9000 images and 80 video ( generally 5476x3648 JPG and video 1080p at 25i/s) .
(I have understood yesterday afternoon) The time needed to update all accesses to files (discover base process and updates) can be very long (while I write these lines I see UMS using a few processor capacities - 7% but memory near The maximum of 1200Mo as no data are transmitted, It is organising since now two hours. So, at same time, depending of the three ways to display the same content, each one does not display (have not access) to the same level of contents.
- I have four accesses to my BTy-UMServer-Z98 (one alone instance allowed), the most awesome is KODI (but I want to test the quality and the display of meta data : Titles etc... and the functionment of Kodi, they are :
- Direct entry by TV selector : Lan (ethernet and HDMI) : direct selection of "BTy-UMServer-Z98" navigation are manage by the piece of soft of the TV in this mode
- TV SmartHub : (lan Ethernet) the button Multimedia - All media give access to uPnP media servers ( BTy-UMServer-Z98, Windows Library ...)
- Via FireTV
- VLC (uPnP)
- KODI (uPnP) -

Note that when I uses Kodi UMS reports (Status) for FireTV (192.168.1.41) with the conf : "VLC for desktop" with the device FireTV... The nearest I have not found data to develop a conf for VLC for FireTV

2- When there is no display ready for one folder there is no message :
- the TV can tell no existing any image into the folder !!
- VLC or KODI can show a black screen or do not react when the button "play" is pushed, sometimes something seems to begin and a few seconds later you go back to the icon or the name panel
- exceptionally I got a message a BTy-UMServer-Z98 disconnected for a few seconds

3- I don't know what should be displayed for meta data, folders names, files names etc (particularly case of KODI).

The need is to get the information "Media ready", "BTy-UMServer-Z98 still working to update". "not yet visible (ums tels to the players that there is a content but not ready, while it seems that the player sends the request and UMS doesn't answer anything ?"

Current situation

The consequence for the same content define for BTy-UMServer-Z98 I can have :
- No display at all (no images or no video)
- Display of the list of elements with icons (generated for images and) but no content accessible
- Full access
and this can be different for each way to display

After updates of media (new or modification in folders) They can appear many hours after (for test this morning I have added two subfolder containing images for one an adapted format and for the other a special high definition - I got the basic images 19/9 1920x1080 JPG but not the 19/9 with higher definition (x7 pixels). I could access to these media with VLC not with KODI

So I need :
- to be able to manage well the preparation work of the server (which parameters and when). Because I will not always use the server, then I need to sometimes launch UMS using the full capacity of the computer and now when everything is ready launch a presentation of media.
- to understand if the display problems (video not continuous) come from
- the network,
- the fireTV (the model is the classic but I planned to buy the model Ultra) or from
- the UMS files system update not ended

- no dependent of UMS, is the problem of the display of meta data and organisation of "Mediatheque (in French)" and reading list. ( for example, for now, I could not display with KODI the IPTC Title for the images and don't know how to display for video the "information" ( on KODI panel of the video under the icon "informations" and information which can be filled using for example XNView)). Other player seems unable to display any of these metadata else than some of the EXIF.

Then with the problem of the files names, folders names which comes from the original sources and images or video post-treated into sub-folders (named to manage treatment), all of this as for me no known solution.
Attachments
ums_dbg-c00519-2(debug-test connect-TV-direct_SmartHub).zip
Start UMS and Check reading form TV (direct) and smarthub
(234.23 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
ums_dbg-c00519-1(debug-test connect-FireTV-Kodi_VLC).zip
Start UMs and From FireTV read from KODI and from VLC
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 383 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@Trebly did you run your posts through some kind of translation service? I have a hard time making sense of much of it, although I get the general idea of the topic, it's not enough to evaluate what might be going on. If you did run it to a translator, you should translate it back to the original language and see how much of the original meaning is still there.