[Solved] Auto update

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Chalkiejim

[Solved] Auto update

Post by Chalkiejim »

For about the last 4 updates now, the "Auto Updater" has not been working. It will come up and tell me there is a new update.
Download.jpg
Download.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
When I click on download, it comes up with "Server error. Try again later".
Server error.jpg
Server error.jpg (22.32 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
The only way I can get the update is if I go on the UMS website and download it. I'm hoping there a simple solution to this.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(123.87 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
hoboX10

Re: Auto update

Post by hoboX10 »

I have this same issue. I don't see anything in the logs relating to the auto-updater either so I can't tell why this error message occurs. Hopefully others with the issue decide to post too for more attention.

Edit: Similarly, it was working perfectly fine for me about 2 or 3 months ago maybe, then always gave this error. Nothing changed on my end.
Gaston62

Post by Gaston62 »

Same here...
hoboX10

Post by hoboX10 »

Personal friends of mine who use UMS also have the same issue. Clearly something is wrong with the auto updater, not sure why this thread is being ignored.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I just checked mine and it does appear that the auto updater is broken at the moment.
Whether it is a bug in UMS or problem with the server giving updates I don't know though.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
hoboX10

Post by hoboX10 »

mik_s wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:23 pm I just checked mine and it does appear that the auto updater is broken at the moment.
Whether it is a bug in UMS or problem with the server giving updates I don't know though.
Thank you for verifying!
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Fixed in the PR https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... /pull/2081 which I hope will be included in the next release. Guys thanks for your inputs.
Chalkiejim

Re:[SOLVED] Auto update

Post by Chalkiejim »

So, last week I looked into Java a bit more and the differences between 32bit and 64bit. Then I looked into UMS and realised that although it installs in the x86 program section it also contains some parts of the program in 64bit. With this information I checked to see what version of Java I was running, it was 32bit and up to date.
Now when you install Java, it automatically installs the 32bit as standard, regardless of what browser or system you are running. With this in mind I uninstalled my 32bit Java and installed the 64bit version instead. I checked to make sure that UMS was still running as it was supposed to and waited for the next UMS update.
This morning, (13.6.20), the UMS auto update came up telling me there was a new version, (9.6.0). I clicked the download button and hey presto it worked.
Whether or not I was just lucky or this will actually work for all of you I don't know. This worked for me and is the solution to my particular problem.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Chalkiejim, on Windows we don't use the system Java, we include our own one. So you can actually have your one uninstalled if no other programs are relying on it :) And yes we fixed the auto update
Chalkiejim

Post by Chalkiejim »

Yes. I've just uninstalled Java and all is still working. Thanks for the fix.