[Solved] UMS Database

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
VSCurtis

[Solved] UMS Database

Post by VSCurtis »

Hello All,

I'm curious as to the location and format of the database used by UMS? I assume that an open source DBMS is being used. Where is it located and what is its format? Is it accessible via external means? I'm a software engineer and I would like to see the layout of the database as well as the data contained in the tables. I want to try to gain a better understanding of how UMS works as a whole.

Thanks In Advance
Shane Curtis
Nadahar

Re: UMS Database

Post by Nadahar »

It's a H2 database, and the location varies depending on the platform. If you just look early in the log, you will find the location - just search for database.
VSCurtis

Post by VSCurtis »

Thanks for the response. Although it was not very helpful. The log file does not show where the database is installed, only the install directory. The OS is Windows 10. Can the database be accessed externally? I would like to examine the table structure and the data in those tables.
boss

Post by boss »

You don't have an entry similiar to this in your log file?:
Using database located at: /root/.config/UMS/database
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I already gave you all the information you need. The database file location is shown in the log. The database isn't "installed" in any other way, it only consists of the file itself. The H2 database is Java, so UMS can access the database without any "middleware" if that's what you were looking for.

If you took the time to read about the H2 database, you would find tools to access the database from a web browser for example. So yes, it can be accessed, using H2's own "console" or using any 3. party database "tool" that supports H2.
VSCurtis

Post by VSCurtis »

Thanks for the info. Is the database secured? In other words does it require a user name/password to gain access? I'm unfamiliar with H2 but I have downloaded the software.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't remember. UMS is open source, so you can easily find it in the code. I think it uses "sa" and a blank password.
Last edited by Nadahar on Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VSCurtis

Post by VSCurtis »

Thank you for the assistance
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: [Solved] UMS Database

Post by SubJunk »

Yes, it's as secured as the computer is