[Solved] UMS wont run as a service

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Roby The Hood

Re: Windows Service on version 9.6.1 and 9.6.2 not Work

Post by Roby The Hood »

SubJunk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:49 am Could you please try 9.6.0 to help narrow this down? https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... e/download
I'm not sure if updating to the service wrapper would help. It would be good to know if that works though for unrelated reasons

hello SubJunk, I tested Version 9.6.0 and 9.7.0 and I have the same problem.
The Windows Service does not start.
I also tried the Wrapper of the page you listed, the community and standard versions did not work.
Only Version 9.5.0 remains stable ...
Roby The Hood

Re: UMS wont run as a service

Post by Roby The Hood »

SubJunk wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:04 pm Would you please try with a previous version, https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... e/download ?
There is another support thread where a user has said this is a new problem, that the service worked with 9.5.0, so you may want to try that version too. Please let us know if it works with 9.6.0 or 9.5.0
hello SubJunk, as I wrote to you in the other post, it seems that the Windows service only works up to version 9.5.0. other versions from 9.6.0 seems to have a problem ...
Maytus

Post by Maytus »

I just tried 9.7.0 (since UMS offered me to upgrade first), then 9.6.0, then 9.5.0 (with a reboot between each version after removing it, setting up as a service ans remove it again, tried login the user info in the 9.5.0 attempt and still nothing... pffff, which version of linux do you recomend? Im considering migrating soooo hard
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Regarding UMS, everything is more painful on Linux. The reason is that the "primary audience" is using Windows. There is no solution to run UMS as a daemon on Linux without scripting it yourself.
Maytus

Post by Maytus »

OMG I thought I replied already, I tried first with 9.7.0 since UMS oofered me to upgrade, it didnt work, then removed, rebooted, installed, configured as service, rebooted, it didnt work, repeated the same process with 9.5.0 and even added admin user details to the service, still failed, what Linux distro do you recomend? Im kind of tired lol
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I would say just stick with 9.5.0 until we fix the issue, I will post here when I fix it. I'll work on it tonight.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I just tried and it works for me after installing as service on 9.7.0 but I'm trying to redo the test by doing 9.5.0 first and then 9.7.0
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It's still working for me. The exact steps I have done:

1) Removed previous service by running sc delete "Universal Media Server" in cmd
2) Installed 9.5.0
3) Run 9.5.0
4) Installed as service
5) Quit the GUI
6) Started the service
7) Confirmed it works via web interface
8) Stopped service
9) Installed 9.7.0 without starting the GUI
10) Started the service
11) Confirmed it still works via web interface

Can you please let me know if you do these steps when you upgrade or do you do it differently?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I have a test build for you that changes the way the program and installer handle services: https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... taller.exe

In that test build, the installer now:
1) stops the existing service if it is running
2) starts the service again if the checkbox is enabled at the end

In addition, it adds a prompt to UMS itself that warns about using it as a GUI when it is already installed as a service
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Sorry for the spam but I have made another test file with more improvements. It works for me but I don't know if it fixes this problem you have since I can't reproduce that. Please try it: https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... ller-2.exe
The changes are:
- The installer stops the existing service if it is running
- The installer starts the service if the checkbox is enabled at the end and the service is installed, instead of starting the GUI
- The installer does not try to start the GUI on computer startup if the service is installed
- The program GUI warns about using it as a GUI when it is already installed as a service
- The service uses our bundled Java instead of the system one