[Solved] UMS wont run as a service

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Maytus

[Solved] UMS wont run as a service

Post by Maytus »

Since moving to Windows 10 I cant seem to make this work flawlessly, the last step of my configuration was to run as a service, "Services" states that UMS is running but the server doesnt show up on my TV or Roku 3 and UMS doesnt recognize my devices, if I stop the service manually and run UMS, it works, since the PC doesnt have a monitor attached, I need to be able to run UMS regardless of being able or not to log in on windows, can you please help me?

Windows 10 Pro 18363
i5 3.33 (4 CPUs)
4GB Ram
GeForce 9500 GT 2GB

UMS 9.5.0
Java 1.8.0 251-b08
Nadahar

Re: UMS wont run as a service

Post by Nadahar »

This probably has to do with the (file/folder) permissions of the user the service is running under. Change the service configuration to run as the same user as you use to log in and run it "manually", and it should behave the same.
Maytus

Post by Maytus »

Well, i did gave the same user permissions and now the service startes, but the program doesnt, even if I start it manually, it wont stream, I have to stop the service and then start UMS in order for it to work, even in a new configuration after reinstalling it, I get the same results, thank you in advance
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

What do you mean "the program doesn't"? When running as a service, there's no GUI if that's what you mean. UMS should still serve clients though. A Windows service doesn't have a GUI "per definition", as it doesn't run under a logged in session.
Maytus

Post by Maytus »

I understand, what I mean is that my devices dont see the UMS server, the only way to make it work is to disable the service, then run the UMS program icon, 30 secs later it shows up on my devices
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Ok, then my best bet is that it's the firewall. Try disabling it and see if that helps. If it does, you must create a new rule letting "wrapper.exe" (or something like that) through the firewall as well.

The reason for this is that when running as a service, it doesn't run under the same process as when running as an application (java.exe or javaw.exe), because a Windows service must follow "special rules" to qualify as one. UMS thus use a wrapper to satisfy these requirements, and UMS runs "inside" the wrapper.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

If this suggestion ends up fixing it, we can add the wrapper to the firewall exclusions on install, so please let us know if that works
Roby The Hood

Windows Service on version 9.6.1 and 9.6.2 not Work

Post by Roby The Hood »

Hi, I have installed Version 9.6.1 and 2 and I have encountered the following problems:
I use Win Server 2019, installed UMS 9.6.1 and 6.2, the Windows Service does not work. I've tried in a lot of ways,

Stop the UMS service from the service manager (services.msc)
Start UMS as an application
Make your configuration changes
Quit UMS as an application
Start the UMS service from the service manager,

even if I put the User with Password in the Service, UMS does not start correctly as a service.
Firewall for UMS.exe set, ports configured, (as read by other Topics)

I have reinstalling version 9.5.0, the Service works.

One more thing, I use a Sony Bravia KD-55XG9505 and I have a problem with the MKV format, the videos in this format cannot make a fast forward, the image remains still and does not go further, which with my old one Sony Bravia KDL-46ex725 worked great.

can you check please?

Thank you in Advance

(sorry for my english, I used a translator)
mik_s

Re: Windows Service on version 9.6.1 and 9.6.2 not Work

Post by mik_s »

Roby The Hood wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 am One more thing, I use a Sony Bravia KD-55XG9505 and I have a problem with the MKV format, the videos in this format cannot make a fast forward, the image remains still and does not go further, which with my old one Sony Bravia KDL-46ex725 worked great.
This will be because your conf for the KD-55XG9505 says that format is unsupported so the file is transcoded.
One side effect of transcoding is that some devices cannot handle FF and RWD. This is because the transcoded file is being made as it is playing, there is no way of knowing the final size of the file and no way for the device to calculate where to move to as that data doesn't exist yet.

If that format is supported then it is streamed so will work as normal.
Try the #-TRANSCODE-# folder and select no transcoding, if it plays without problems then it is supported and you will need to update your conf file.

To be certain though we will need logs.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Roby The Hood

Re: Windows Service on version 9.6.1 and 9.6.2 not Work

Post by Roby The Hood »

Hello Mik_s, thanks for the tip, but could you help me, where can I find this # -TRANSCODE- # folder?
on UMS Software or on TV? or how to update my conf file?
are you saying c: \ ProgramData \ UMS \ ums.conf?

sorry but I'm a newbie with UMS

thanks in advance