[Solved] UMS wont run as a service

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mik_s

Re: Windows Service on version 9.6.1 and 9.6.2 not Work

Post by mik_s »

If you don't see it on your TV then you have to turn it on in the navigation settings tab in the main UMS GUI. tick the box next to "show the #-TRANSCODE-# folder"

The conf files you that are needed to tell UMS the capabilities of a device are in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers".
Clicking a device icon in the Status tab will show the current conf being used. If the one shown is not the one for that device you might have to make a new one.
A good place to start is to copy one that is similar like the one used by your Sony Bravia KDL-46ex725, and tweak that till you get UMS to match your other TV.
Then you can start adding the supported formats, the manual is usually a good place to get this but will also take some testing using the #-TRANSCODE-#.

Have a look at the DefaultRenderer.conf as it has a lot of help on how to set it up.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Roby The Hood

Post by Roby The Hood »

mik_s wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:02 pm If you don't see it on your TV then you have to turn it on in the navigation settings tab in the main UMS GUI. tick the box next to "show the #-TRANSCODE-# folder"

The conf files you that are needed to tell UMS the capabilities of a device are in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers".
Clicking a device icon in the Status tab will show the current conf being used. If the one shown is not the one for that device you might have to make a new one.
A good place to start is to copy one that is similar like the one used by your Sony Bravia KDL-46ex725, and tweak that till you get UMS to match your other TV.
Then you can start adding the supported formats, the manual is usually a good place to get this but will also take some testing using the #-TRANSCODE-#.

Have a look at the DefaultRenderer.conf as it has a lot of help on how to set it up.
Hi Mik_s, thanks again for the Tips, I tried and failed, I did as you said a config, but the result is the same.
Do you know if new conf will arrive with the new versions of UMS?
sorry, I forgot to say that for some reason, 2 renderers are appearing from the beginning.

now there remains the problem of versions 6.1 and 6.2 that do not start the Windows Service.
Thanks in advance
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Roby The Hood wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:17 pm Do you know if new conf will arrive with the new versions of UMS?
Only if someone that has that device writes a conf for it. Will try to help you but unfortunately you will have to do most of the work. Also without logs there is not much more we can do.

Don't try running UMS as a service, It is not needed and is there for advanced users who have everything working and need it to run on a computer without logging in.
Running as a service and running the main program at the same time creates conflicts that causes errors.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

There are files in your installation directory like C:/Program Files (x86)/Universal Media Server/win32/service/*, you could try replacing them with the latest version from https://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/ ... wnload.jsp and let us know if that fixes it. They say they support up to Java 13 and we are now on Java 14, but it is worth trying :)

Edit: Actually I think the service will use whatever Java version you have installed, I don't think it is using the one we include
Roby The Hood

Post by Roby The Hood »

mik_s wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:02 am
Roby The Hood wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:17 pm Do you know if new conf will arrive with the new versions of UMS?
Only if someone that has that device writes a conf for it. Will try to help you but unfortunately you will have to do most of the work. Also without logs there is not much more we can do.

Don't try running UMS as a service, It is not needed and is there for advanced users who have everything working and need it to run on a computer without logging in.
Running as a service and running the main program at the same time creates conflicts that causes errors.
hello mik_s, thanks for the tip again, I made a conf with the name KD-55XG9505,
copied the 2 uuids that appear to render and copied some information from another conf (Supported video and audio formats Sony-BraviaXD).
It seems to have worked, and I will use it until UMS brings out an updated version
because there may still be errors in my version and I don't know where to get my hands in the conf.

thank you very much for your patience and help ...
Roby The Hood

Post by Roby The Hood »

SubJunk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am There are files in your installation directory like C:/Program Files (x86)/Universal Media Server/win32/service/*, you could try replacing them with the latest version from https://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/ ... wnload.jsp and let us know if that fixes it. They say they support up to Java 13 and we are now on Java 14, but it is worth trying :)

Edit: Actually I think the service will use whatever Java version you have installed, I don't think it is using the one we include
hello SubJunk, thanks for the reply.
I use Java 8 251 x64.
On your page listed, should I use the Windows version (x86) 3.5.43 of the Community?
An x64 Community Version is in Delta Pack Version.
I would like to thank you for any advice you can give me and I hope that these problems will be fixed in the next UMS Version.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Could you please try 9.6.0 to help narrow this down? https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... e/download
I'm not sure if updating to the service wrapper would help. It would be good to know if that works though for unrelated reasons
Maytus

Re: UMS wont run as a service

Post by Maytus »

Im sorry for the long wait, I didnt have a chance to work with the server, I disabled the Windows firewall and started the service, it failed, reboot, still the service wont run UMS automatically, is there any other suggestion you guys have?

Thanks in advance
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: UMS wont run as a service

Post by SubJunk »

Would you please try with a previous version, https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... e/download ?
There is another support thread where a user has said this is a new problem, that the service worked with 9.5.0, so you may want to try that version too. Please let us know if it works with 9.6.0 or 9.5.0
Roby The Hood

Post by Roby The Hood »

SubJunk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:49 am Could you please try 9.6.0 to help narrow this down? https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimed ... e/download
I'm not sure if updating to the service wrapper would help. It would be good to know if that works though for unrelated reasons
hallo SubJunk, I will try Version 9.6.0 in the next few days and let you know.