GitHub and My computer problems

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: My computer problems

Post by Nadahar »

mik_s wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:45 am ..a good clean with IPA, might have just been a bad contact :?
If you're VERY lucky, yes ;) I would expect that one of the sticks have gone bad on you though :)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Thanks, I would like to dig a bit deeper into contributing so i'll give that ago. I thought I would need some sort of IDE, notepad++ is good for code syntax highlighting but not for keeping things organised.

Looks like i have found the faulty stick
DSC_0127-small.JPG
DSC_0127-small.JPG (58.96 KiB) Viewed 6688 times
The first one ran 20 mins without an error so cancelled and did the other one, errors came up straight away

Strange thing is the 2 sticks are supposed to be the same, have the same part number and look the same, but first one is reported as SpecTek when it should be PNY. and it is the PNY one that has failed :?
DSC_0122-small.JPG
DSC_0122-small.JPG (52.22 KiB) Viewed 6688 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It seems like the usual marketing mumbo-jumbo (branding): https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/is ... k.1067427/

Old thread, but some things never change ;)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

ah that makes sense. I couldn't remember if they were supplied with the motherboard and CPU when I bought them as a kit or if the memory was separate. I might have only bought 1 then then added the 2nd at a later date.

Seems to be running OK now on the 1 stick without any noticeable difference so far. If I don't get any more blue screens I'll upgrade to the latest version (2004), windows would have updated anyway sometime soon but this should fix any other issues the bad ram caused.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Seems like a good plan. I rarely have to "give up" on an installation, as long as the problems haven't "infested" too many parts of the system. A little investigation in the EventViewer, trying to resolve issues that seem relevant (there are always some warnings there, some are of no consequence) can go a long way in making Windows play ball again.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Nadahar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 am Eclipse can be a little bit bitchy to set up, because you have to install some extensions/plugins and know how to configure it to get it set up properly. Some people seem to give up on Eclipse before they get this right, and these people will usually say that "it's crap". That said, no software is "perfect", and the same goes for Eclipse - I've had some annoyances with the latest version. On my "development computer" I have an older version (Eclipse Luna) that I consider to be working pretty much "perfectly" though.

If you want to give Eclipse a try and need some instructions to get going, just ask and I'll do my best to explain.
Might need some help with that
got Java JDK, Git, and Maven installed following the build instructions on GitHub

Installed eclipse and trying to import the UMS source as a project

The Eclipse.readme says the to name the project "UniversalMediaServer" but it imports as "UMS" and don't know how to change it

Also getting errors importing
Clipboard Image.jpg
Clipboard Image.jpg (33.12 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
If i just click there are also nearly 300 warnings
Clipboard Image (1).jpg
Clipboard Image (1).jpg (314.44 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
that's a far as I'm getting so far
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Don't bother with the project name, it doesn't matter. The whole reason it is specified is so that you run UMS using "UMS.launch" in the repository root. Personally I don't use that anyway, because I think it's much more convenient to create one or more "Debug Configurations".

Eclipse has both "Debug Configurations" and "Run Configurations", I only use "Debug Configurations" because I have never seen the point of the other. Both are ways to run the application (UMS) from within Eclipse, but when you use "debug" instead of "run" you also have the debugger available should you wish to use it (you can learn about that later). I guess using "run" is faster, but that's not really my main goal when running from Eclipse :)

Anyway, if you create a "Debug Configuration" (once the import is done), the name doesn't matter.

The antrun error is new to me, it might be they have upgraded the antrun plugin lately and that it's somehow incompatible with "m2e". "m2e" is short for "Maven to Eclipse", and is a "bridge" between the two systems that lets Eclipse "understand" Maven projects. Unfortunately, m2e needs more information that what it can infer for some Maven plugins, which is when you get this kind of error. The solution is usually to add some definition file (XML file with plugin definitions) somewhere, but it's not always terribly easy to figure out how/where. This shouldn't be something you would need to handle, so it might be that they have missed something when upgrading the plugin.

Here is the section from DMS' "pom.xml" that lets Eclipse "understand" the Maven plugins:

Code: Select all

<plugin>
					<groupId>org.eclipse.m2e</groupId>
					<artifactId>lifecycle-mapping</artifactId>
					<version>1.0.0</version>
					<configuration>
						<lifecycleMappingMetadata>
							<pluginExecutions>
								<pluginExecution>
									<pluginExecutionFilter>
										<groupId>
											org.apache.maven.plugins
										</groupId>
										<artifactId>
											maven-antrun-plugin
										</artifactId>
										<versionRange>
											[1.7,)
										</versionRange>
										<goals>
											<goal>run</goal>
										</goals>
									</pluginExecutionFilter>
									<action>
										<ignore></ignore>
									</action>
								</pluginExecution>
								<pluginExecution>
									<pluginExecutionFilter>
										<groupId>
											pl.project13.maven
										</groupId>
										<artifactId>
											git-commit-id-plugin
										</artifactId>
										<versionRange>
											[${git-commit-id-plugin-version},)
										</versionRange>
										<goals>
											<goal>revision</goal>
										</goals>
									</pluginExecutionFilter>
									<action>
										<ignore></ignore>
									</action>
								</pluginExecution>
								<pluginExecution>
									<pluginExecutionFilter>
										<groupId>org.digitalmediaserver</groupId>
										<artifactId>
											crowdin-maven-plugin
										</artifactId>
										<versionRange>
											[0.1,)
										</versionRange>
										<goals>
											<goal>fetch</goal>
											<goal>push</goal>
											<goal>build</goal>
											<goal>apply</goal>
											<goal>pull</goal>
										</goals>
									</pluginExecutionFilter>
									<action>
										<execute></execute>
									</action>
								</pluginExecution>
							</pluginExecutions>
						</lifecycleMappingMetadata>
					</configuration>
				</plugin>
Something corresponding should be in UMS' "pom.xml", and it should make sure that you didn't get this error. I can't quite answer what the exact resolution for this is without looking deeper into it. Valib is using Eclipse, so I would think that he had already faced this issue.

When it comes to the warnings, get ready to get used to them :) When you get experienced, you might find warnings that you find interesting and want to look further into, but for now you must just ignore them. Eclipse warns for many things, not all are that important. You can configure what warnings Eclipse should show and not, but that said, UMS is full of "issues" that trigger warnings, and some of them are absolutely relevant. I'm used to seeing 6-700 warnings, but you learn to ignore them :)

The errors can't be ignored though, because they have consequences. Until the antrun issue is resolved, you will have an error there. Likewise, it's too early to get into how to make a "Debug Configuration", the error must be dealt with first.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm trying to clone UMS so that I can try to import it and see if I can figure out how to deal with the error, but once of my VM's have decided to do update Win10 to 1909 (yeah, I don't turn the VM on that often) so cloning UMS is going extremely slowly. I guess the Win10 update is saturating my Internet connections, but it's already almost 90% done so I don't want to cancel it now.

I'll check back later and see if the clone is ready :lol:
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Thanks, surprised it's not the 2004 update. they might not be be deploying that one as an update yet
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if the updates have to be applied sequentially. It's easier for Microsoft to do it that way, although it sucks for the users - so they probably chose the one that benefits them.

I don't think I've had that VM running for maybe a year now - I do very well without access to Win10 :lol: