Audio/subtitle priority help

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Skyhawk

Audio/subtitle priority help

Post by Skyhawk »

Hi guys, I need a hand getting my UMS set up just the way I like it vis a vis audio language priority and subtitle priority. The desired end effect is to always force Japanese audio if possible (the only multi-audio tracks I have are anime, which I prefer to watch in Japanese) and to always force English subtitles, no matter what, even with English audio. All of my video files have the proper subtitles either hardcoded or in properly-named files in the same folders as the relevant video. However I can't seem to get this working via the subtitles settings tab under transcoding settings and it's because I simply don't understand how I need to type the relevant order into "Audio/subtitles language priority", and for some reason the examples I've seen just aren't making it clear to me how to set this up. Could anyone help me out?
Nadahar

Re: Audio/subtitle priority help

Post by Nadahar »

It's not the most intuitive system, so I don't blame you for not "getting it".

Basically, the audio/subtitles prioritization is the primary "rule", and the separate audio and subtitles prioritization only applies when the primary (audio/subtitles) doesn't apply or contains a wildcard (*).

I would try something like this:

Code: Select all

jpn,eng;jpn,und,eng,eng;eng,und;*,eng;*,und
It says:
1. Japanese audio with English subtitles
2. Japanese audio with undefined subtitles (not all subtitles are properly named/tagged and might end up as being an "undefined" language)
3. English audio with English subtitles
4. English audio with undefined subtitles
5. Any audio with English subtitles
6. Any audio with undefined subtitles
Skyhawk

Post by Skyhawk »

Thanks Nadahar, that fixed (almost) all of my problems immediately, and after checking my logs I realized that I had subtitle language priority set to "eng", which it wasn't recognizing. After switching it to "en" instead, my errors disappeared and I am seeing subtitles at last. There are some files I've tried playing that will only display subtitles for, say, signs on-screen but no spoken words, but I will take half a victory over none at all.

Out of curiosity, could you explain to me exactly the syntax of how to set this up? I mean, I understand "jpn, eng" just fine, and I understand that "und" is undefined, that all makes sense. Where it loses me is the semicolons and what they change/add.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Commas and semicolons are both separators. Commas separate between the audio language and the subtitles language in an "audio/subtitles pair". Semicolons separate between the "pairs" themselves.
Skyhawk

Post by Skyhawk »

Sorry that I'm a month late with the thanks, but thanks again. This has mostly fixed my issue and I feel that it's the closest I'm going to get. You were a huge help!