Trying to find a proper workaround for seeking in a transcoded stream

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mik_s

Re: Trying to find a proper workaround for seeking in a transcoded stream

Post by mik_s »

Yeah its different, Nothing works :lol:

First go I got 2 icons on the status tab, both the E+ series which it shouldn't be matching.
Trying to play a supported file all I got was "The selected file is currently not supported". same when selecting no transcoding and forcing to transcode.
ums_dbg_2020-07-03-22-38.zip
(160.36 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

I edited the Samsung-NotCD.conf so there was nothing to match then UMS correctly used my Samsung-F Series.conf
Trying to play the same file made the TV sit thinking for a while, then came on 26 secs into the file and played for split second before pausing and staying there till I stopped it.
Transcoding I just got the same "The selected file is currently not supported" as before.
ums_dbg_2020-07-03-22-46.zip
(117.77 KiB) Downloaded 325 times

Even Movian has problems too. It was not recognised in UMS first try, and UMS didn't show up on Movian (It sometimes does this anyway and needs to be restarted if it doesn't pick up UMS, but UMS had always seen Movian)
After a few restarts of Movian UMS was showing but trying to browse just made it wait endlessly.
ums_dbg_2020-07-03-22-46+movian.zip
(182.25 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

Went back to try the TV again but trying to open UMS all I got was the error "Request cannot be completed. MEDIA PLAY will return to the main screen"
Looking at Process Explorer there were 3 copies of javaw.exe even though I had quit UMS each time. had to forcibly kill those processes and restart UMS, that cleared the last error.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Ignore those last results.

I think I had a loose Sata connection on one of my harddrives that was giving me problems recently, might have knocked it loose replacing the memory. :oops:

Files now play correctly for me again

Unfortunately after re-running the tests the seek controls still remain disabled on both supported and transcoded files. :cry:
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-07-08-04-52.zip
(390.49 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Last edited by mik_s on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot updated log
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I'm staying at my parents for a few days so can't do any real tests, but did have a quick try before I left.
Looks to be the same though and also had the 2 icons for the TV.
Also it was using the notCD config again instead of my F-series one, but that might be something wrong with my config.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Have you had a chance to do proper tests?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Sorry forgot all about it :oops:
I tried with the latest 9.8.1 version and it appears to be the same on my Samsung TV, no FF or RWD controls even on supported files being streamed.
SubJunk wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:41 pm Ok cool, how about https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... 54672c.exe
I'm assuming any changes in this version has been merged to the 9.8.1 branch by now. was there any differences in this version that are not in the master? I can redo if there is just didn't want to reinstall UMS atm if there wasn't.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-09-18-22-31.zip
(121.44 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

As said before, there's no reason to install UMS at all. Just check out the commit you're interested in and run it from Eclipse. Just make sure to copy the binaries ("win32" I think) and the "web" folder into the root of the git repo. You can find these files either in the installation folder of a working installation, or by running "mvn package -Pwindows" and then looking in the "target" folder when Maven is done.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I don't have anything set up anymore. Recently got a cheap SSD as a boot drive to speed up my system but because I didn't have space to clone my old drive, I decided to do a fresh windows install. Never got round to setting eclipse back up.

TBH it was a bit over my head, maybe if I put in more effort I could manage but I'm lazy :lol: I might have another go someday but for now I'll leave it to the experts.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Nobody is born "expert", we all learn continuously. The "trick" is not to get overwhelmed and give up. You simply have to accept that there are lots of things you don't understand, and then focus on some particular area/issue/task. While you do this, you pick up things, and after some time, things starts going easier. That's the way it is for most I assume, at least that's the way it always works for me, every time I have to learn something new. The key is NOT to let the feeling of being overwhelmed "break your spirit" - but it's very helpful to have somewhat sober ambitions. The higher the ambitions the harder the feeling of being overwhelmed hits ;)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

mik_s wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:49 am Sorry forgot all about it :oops:
I tried with the latest 9.8.1 version and it appears to be the same on my Samsung TV, no FF or RWD controls even on supported files being streamed.
SubJunk wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:41 pm Ok cool, how about https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... 54672c.exe
I'm assuming any changes in this version has been merged to the 9.8.1 branch by now. was there any differences in this version that are not in the master? I can redo if there is just didn't want to reinstall UMS atm if there wasn't.
Yeah that was a custom build for you to test, but the only changes were to the renderer config so you can replace that manually for testing https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Unive ... oidTV.conf