WMA transcode turns to hissing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ississi

WMA transcode turns to hissing

Post by ississi »

Hi,
I have a Sony Bravia KDL 32EX403 tv. When I play wma audio files to it, it sounds ok for the first 2 seconds and then turns to hisses/white noise.
I know the advice would be to get a new tv :-D but I would like to know how to fix this transcoding - I guess? - issue, as I also want to figure out how to get ogg to transcode to play via the tv (we have a good soundbar). So I'm interested in this from a tecchy viewpoint too. I have an IT background.

The wma audio files sound fine when played through, eg., my pc.

Attached are the log files. I started 3 wma songs, played each for about 10 seconds. I am using the lastest version of UMS.

Please help, I'd like to further understand how all this works :-)

Many thanks,
Isabel
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-08-18-17-43.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 268 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: WMA transcode turns to hissing

Post by SubJunk »

Hi ississi, welcome to UMS :)

I can see that we are using FFmpeg for transcoding that file and it is reporting an error:

Code: Select all

Error while decoding stream #0:1: Operation not permitted
I guess that means there is some corruption with the file or a bug in FFmpeg.

You could try using a new build of FFmpeg - ours is from March. You would do that by downloading it from https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and replacing C:\Program Files (x86)\isstuff\Universal Media Server\win32\ffmpeg64.exe with the newer one. That will involve renaming "ffmpeg.exe" from the download to "ffmpeg64.exe"

You can also see if your TV supports WMA files natively by going into the #-TRANSCODE-# folder and playing the [No transcoding] option at the top. If that works then we can fix it by modifying the renderer config file to not transcode wma
ississi

Re: WMA transcode turns to hissing

Post by ississi »

Thank you very much for your help 😊 I'll give those changes a go in the next few days