Web entries duplicate when I try to delete them

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
spud

Re: Web entries duplicate when I try to delete them

Post by spud »

Thanks - I found your answer in another thread and I now have the settings. Now I need to find an idiot's guide to what looks like a minefield! But first I need to understand why my LG TV shows up twice?
Renderers.png
Renderers.png (202.24 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
spud

Post by spud »

Today, mysteriously, everything is working perfectly. I'm playing 4k drone footage stored on my iMac (huge mp4 h264 files) and UMS is rendering them faultlessly on my 1080p LG TV. Nothing has changed since yesterday. My wired LAN is still running at a constant 900Mbps. I haven't touched any settings. And the video is smooth and sharp - unlike yesterday when I was plagued with buffering interruptions every few seconds.

I'll wait for it to mysteriously revert to yesterday's behaviour before experimenting with my settings.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There are many bugs in UMS, especially in versions 7.xx and up. So, don't assume that there's a good reason for everything that's happening ;) The showing up twice thing is a long standing issue that I suspect was introduced in version 5. I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty convinced that I know why it happens: UMS uses two methods to "detect" renderers, one is using the UPnP discovery mechanism and the other is by trying to "recognize" the source of all requests made to UMS on HTTP. My theory is that if UMS "sees" the device via UPnP first, everything is fine. But, if the device, by coincidence, discovers UMS first and make a request to UMS before UMS has "discovered" the device, one renderer is estabilished. When UMS then a little bit later discovers it via UPnP, it doesn't realize that this is the same device, and thus it's registered twice. The whole thing is a bit tricky actually, because the two types of identification has no "common factors", so there's no straight-forward way to match the two.

I don't think the guide you're looking for exists, you can find some information here and some information there. This forum is a source, the GitHub Wiki is another. There's also a "help tab" in UMS, but this information is largely hopelessly outdated. So, the best strategy is probably to leave everything you don't know what is alone, and then "educate yourself" on the specific areas that you deem to be of interest.

Actually, when looking at the screenshot below, it seems that the "double detection" isn't caused by the bug I described above (although it's very much existent as well). Your TV actually contains two "UPnP devices", one of which is the "normal" renderer and one that is called "webos second screen". It's really a bug, UMS should just ignore the one that doesn't have AVTransport and ConnectionManager - both are essential to "being a renderer".
spud

Post by spud »

Your expertise, patience and kindness are very much appreciated. I will look for current settings tips but leave well alone unless forced to experiment. Hopefully there's a Reset to Defaults button to get me out of jail…

And I now know not to waste my time trying to configure the rogue renderer on the left.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There's no "reset to default" button I'm afraid, but you can achieve the same by deleting the setting you want to reset from UMS.conf. Deleting a setting or leaving it blank, will make the default value apply. You can also refer to the "default" UMS.conf file where many settings are somewhat documented and the default stated: https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... s/UMS.conf
spud

Post by spud »

Thanks for that. I note that the settings page is reporting that MEncoder engine is not loaded ("failed with: Unknown error"). Is this something I need to fix?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

If you need MEncoder you'd want to fix it yes. It's primarily used to handle videos with embedded subtitles and DVD playback.

Edit: I think there's a problem with MEncoder on macOS these days. The reason is that the version that has been used for all these years has been 32 bit. Apple has decided to block running of 32 bit code in the later versions of macOS, which has led SubJunk to try get build or find a working 64 bit version. I don't know the details of this, but from the little I've registered, I think the "new" 64-bit version bundled with UMS for some versions now is broken, or that it doesn't work on "older" versions (10.12 etc) of macOS.

I don't use macOS and I don't use UMS, so I'm not really up-to-date on the details ;)