Chromecast with Google TV and using Kodi

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
korvkorv

Chromecast with Google TV and using Kodi

Post by korvkorv »

I was wondering if I could get some help with a video stuttering problem streaming to a new Chromecast with Google TV(a fairly new product). I am running a clean install of UMS 9.8.1 on a windows 7 system. I had previously been using UMS to host the dlna server and my 7 year old Samsung Bluray player to play it. This worked well for years, with no stuttering or stopping issues at all. I have the new Chromecast with Google TV and am trying to use Kodi on it to connect to UMS. I can browse my folders and play everything but it randomly stutters and or stops for a little bit. Kodi displays "Source too slow for continuous playback" occasionally during these stops. I doubt it is my network as I am using the chromecast with an Ethernet cable, have good speeds, and used the same network setup with my bluray player. UMS chooses the kodi.conf renderer file and I wonder if that's the correct one, or if it needs tweaks for the new chromecast, or what. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Info about the attached log files:
at 16:54 it just stops. In this case I hit pause and then play, and then it started fine again. I did get the "source to slow" at this point.
at 17:01 stopped and then started again.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-11-05-16-40.zip
(220.61 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
valib
Developer

Re: Chromecast with Google TV and using Kodi

Post by valib »

Please for testing try to set the "Use automatic maximum bandwidth" and send the log. It will not solve your problem but could give us a view what could be the problem. It seems to me that either some other application or setting on your PC slows down the connection or there is a problem in your net e.g. physical problem in the connection. Your CPU is powefull enough to stream the video so there must be any other limitation.

EDIT: I have no idea what Chromecat do when you use Kodi as renderer but in this case the Kodi conf should be correct. It needs only to stream all supported videos.
korvkorv

Post by korvkorv »

Thanks for the help. I've checked the "Use automatic maximum bandwidth". Hope that helps figure something out. I'm not that technical but I'll look into network stuff on my side as well. Thanks again for the help!

Info about the attached log files:
11:39 stopped and started by itself
11:46 stutter
11:48 stopped and got the message "source to slow"
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-11-06-11-34.zip
(326.22 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
korvkorv

Post by korvkorv »

Just an update on this for anyone else that has a similar issue. The idea that there was some setting on my computer that slowed my connection down seems to be correct. I tested a bunch of stuff and isolated my PC as the problem, as opposed to my network. After much poking around I came across a post on plex , which led me here: https://www.howtosolutions.net/2013/06/ ... g-windows/. In short, I disabled " Large Send Offload V2" (both (IPv4) and (IPv6)) in my network adapter setting. The plex website said in rare instances it causes problems and I guess I must be one of those. After disabling that, Kodi with dlna plays flawlessly. Its been working for several day now so I think that was the solution that solved it. Just wanted to thank Valib for the help and UMS for being a great program!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This is actually very interesting, I wasn't aware of this potential problem. After some searching, I found an article that actually explains why it can fail: http://www.peerwisdom.org/2013/04/03/la ... rformance/

Basically, if the MTU is anything but the standard 1500 on any of the equipment involved, it will probably fail. This seems like a huge blunder when making the LSO spec, simply assuming that MTU always is 1500 is naive and quite stupid. Tagged packets like VLAN packets for example, routinely have a smaller MTU because some of the space is used for the package tag. There are other reasons as well. I had no idea that such a stupid thing is enabled by default in Windows :o