2 Audio files language 'eng' but the default track flag is ignored

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ChroMe55555

2 Audio files language 'eng' but the default track flag is ignored

Post by ChroMe55555 »

Hi,

I have a MKV file with 2 audio files embedded:
1) Type = DTS // Language = ENG // Default Track Flag = YES ===> Real audio of the movie
2) Type = AC3 // Language = ENG // Default Track Flag = NO ==> Commentary of the director(s)

Now UMS keeps taking audio stream 2 (directors commentary) as the default, so it ignores the 'Default Track' flag which can be seen in MKVMerge GUI.
Any idea how to fix this in the settings of UMS / UMS.conf file?
valib
Developer

Re: 2 Audio files language 'eng' but the default track flag is ignored

Post by valib »

Please follow instructions written in read above an send the log.
ChroMe55555

Post by ChroMe55555 »

UMS freezes when trying to 'Zip selected files'... => After a very long time the zip was there...
UPDATE: Zip in attachment
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-11-14-11-59.zip
(154.51 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

The PS4 mediaplayer does not support DTS audio so it is picking the next available supported track which happens to be the commentary in AC3.

UMS is detecting that DTS is not supported, but as there is a second supported track it allows the file to be streamed and leaves the PS4 to select what it can play.

This is one of the rare instances where the format matching does not give the required result so you will have to force transcoding using the TRANSCODE folder to select the audio track you want.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Thnks mik_s this is exactly what I would write.
ChroMe55555

Post by ChroMe55555 »

Hi,

So there isn't any setting to force DTS transcoding by default?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Yes there is, but that's not the issue here. The issue here is that there are two "qualifying" (language wise) audio tracks, one of which don't need transcoding. UMS has no way of knowing that it's not actually the audio for the video. If it was, so that the content of the two were the same, you'd want UMS' current behavior instead of enforcing transcoding just because one of the tracks aren't supported.

It's one of those situations where both options will benefit some situations, and you simply have to pick the one you think will be most beneficial. Thus, making the choice manually in the "transcode" folder is the correct thing here.
ChroMe55555

Post by ChroMe55555 »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies already!!
And isn't there a way to keep in mind the 'Default Track' flag? Because that flag is set to YES for the real audio and to NO for the commentary. (I checked that in the tool "MKV Merge")
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't quite see how that would make any difference. Often videos come with a "main"/"default" track in DTS or AC3, and then a "secondary" track in AAC or MP3. If the renderer can't play the "main" track, it's better to play the existing one in a supported codec than to transcode the surround track to e.g AAC or MP3.

This isn't about what's possible, but what's desirable most often. The automatic behavior can only do one thing, so one has to choose. Unless you have a large number of videos with this particular situation, I don't see why using the "transcode" folder for such rare cases should be a problem.
ChroMe55555

Post by ChroMe55555 »

I have several files with this situation, so for me, my problems would be solved if UMS would automatically pick the audio stream with the 'Default Track' flag.