Security Options

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
harvi

Security Options

Post by harvi »

All,
My intent is to have a common set of folders (C:\one, c:\two) for all devices, and a special folder (c:\three) ONLY available to select devices. In all these instances, I assume we configure common folders ONLY in the "folders" section.

I'm on Windows 10, using v9.8.3

Here are the different options I've tried:
  • ip filter to say ip.folders = c:\\three*, did not work
  • UMS.code, did not work (*.c:\\three.*, 1234)
  • custom device configurations (can't see UUIDs for some reason only IPs), after using unwanted.conf, did not work either
What am I missing? Please help!
mik_s

Re: Security Options

Post by mik_s »

The security setting i haven't used and know little of but everything you should need to set up what you need will be here.

I think the bit that applies to your case will be

UMS.deny

The whitelist can only modify the rootfolder appearance. But if you have mixed things (you have 10 folders but only one should be restricted to the kids). To control access to individual folders (or media) you can use the UMS.deny. It works as follows:
Add a file called UMS.deny into the same directory as your UMS.conf file and inside that file add tag.[name|file|sys]=regex
For each folder/file that should be added, UMS will apply the regular expression to the folder name or filename and if the regular expression matches the folder/file will NOT be added.
For example :

192.168.1.1.name=.*private.*

will remove all folders/files which has the word private in it.

192.168.1.1.file=c:\\tst.*
will remove all files that have c:\tst in their path etc.

If no rule are set in the "UMS.deny" file, the files/folders will be added.

I think you would have to select all folders to share and then set up the deny file to restrict access to specific devices.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
harvi

Post by harvi »

Thank you for the quick reply.

No luck with this option either!

I tried adding UMS.deny to both ProgramData\UMS folder, and X86\UniversalMediaServer folder with no difference in behavior!

I tried adding both ip.name, and ip.file filters, and again no filtering going on.

Curiously enough - the log does not mention any reading of the filters at all. Is that by design, or does that indicate these configurations are not being picked up.

p.s I'm assuming the ONLY lines in the UMS.deny file are
192.168.1.1.name=.*private.*
192.168.1.1.file=c:\\private.*
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

as It's not something I know much about hopefully one of the devs can direct you better.
It is possible that it has been broken in one of the updates, it will be helpful to the devs if you post trace logs for them to check.

sorry can't be any more help.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

@harvi It seems to me that you are the first person who tried to use this feature when it was broken 2 years ago. Since that time nobody blamed us. See the issue https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ssues/2327 I made. I hope we will fix it soon. Thanks for your input and @mik_s help.
harvi

Post by harvi »

Thank you- any thoughts on why none of the options work? (Filter, pin Code, Deny)? Are they all part of the same code?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We have an issue for this and I hope it gets worked on https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ssues/1801