UMS 10.0.0: Windows protected your PC

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
slimsy

UMS 10.0.0: Windows protected your PC

Post by slimsy »

Just downloaded UMS-10.0.0.exe for Windows. MD5 checksum 3A9C77F0E69DF9190D2BB532BB88E9DD.
Norton says the file is OK. However Windows 10 x64 pops up a "Windows protected your PC" dialog, Publisher: Unknown publisher.
Why?
Is it safe to install, or has a nefarious character uploaded a risky version?
mik_s

Re: UMS 10.0.0: Windows protected your PC

Post by mik_s »

I think this depends on the version of windows you are using. I use Win 10 Pro and never had any prompts, however trying UMS on my dads laptop with Win 10 home I got a similar message saying that it was not downloaded from the Microsoft store. I'm sure I have read about one version (LSC something?) that only allows apps to be installed from the store.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
slimsy

Post by slimsy »

Mik_s - thanks for your reply. It's Win 10 Home x64, build 19041.746.
I haven't had trouble installing other non-MS Store programs, e.g. mp3tag installed just fine yesterday.
The warning doesn't mention the MS Store; the trouble seems to be "Unknown publisher". See attached screenshot.
At a guess the executable isn't signed by the publisher?
Warning when UMS installer is run
Warning when UMS installer is run
UMS_Windows_protected_PC.png (13.09 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

More specifically, that it's not signed with a "Microsoft trusted" signature. Those cost money to rent, so free software are excluded.
slimsy

Post by slimsy »

OK, I appreciate that paying a Microsoft Tax for free software isn't attractive.
Since the MD5 sum is the same as on the download site, I hit the Run Anyway button. MS then popped up another, different "Unknown publisher" warning (amber/white background). With that confirmed too, it installed and is up and running.

As an experiment I tried installing the older UMS-9.8.3.exe. That did not pop up the blue "Windows protected your PC" warning, but it did pop up the amber/white warning that also occurs with 10.0.0. No clue why MS treats the two versions differently, but wanted to let you know it does.