Issues when watching movies

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
yoco007

Issues when watching movies

Post by yoco007 »

Hi! I'm new to UMS. I have a Samsung Q63 tv (WiFi connected), and I tried watching two movies. It starts fine, but after 15-20 minutes both movies started behaving like someone would press fast forward button. It stops when I press pause/play button but after a while it starts again. I don't know if there's anything special that must be done in UMS. TV is on the same floor as my PC, maybe 5 meters away, in other room. I downloaded latest version UMS. Before I switched to UMS I watched movies on older Samsung tv, which you could use Smart View desktop app, but they decided to not support new tv's which sucks. If anyone has any tips, would really appreciate.
lothian

Re: Issues when watching movies

Post by lothian »

UMS sucks balls. UMS is a hack hobby project built upon an ancient platform (PS3 Media Server) using a near-obsolete standard (DNLA). Use PLEX or VLC. Both simply work right out of the box.
yoco007

Post by yoco007 »

lothian wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:11 am UMS sucks balls. UMS is a hack hobby project built upon an ancient platform (PS3 Media Server) using a near-obsolete standard (DNLA). Use PLEX or VLC. Both simply work right out of the box.
Is this Plex free?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Plex isn't free, it's "freemium" - which means that they offer a "free" version where a lot of functionality is blocked, where they will forever "remind you" to upgrade to "premium" to do this or that.

When it comes to the "near obsolete" UPnP AV/DLNA, that's rich :lol: If you don't need UPnP AV/DLNA functionality, you probably shouldn't use UMS - as this is the primary task UMS serves. I don't know how you come to the conclusion that it's "near obsolete" though, there are an endless amount of different devices out there what supports it. If you have one of these devices and wish to serve media to one of them, you need a server doing that. If not, you don't need a UPnP AV/DLNA server.