Google Fiber install now UMS isn't working

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
DanVan4000

Google Fiber install now UMS isn't working

Post by DanVan4000 »

Hey guys,
I recently switched from Spectrum to Google Fiber. Previously Spectrum provided a modem and a wireless router. The router had 4 LAN outs on it and I ran.... 1 to my computer downstairs running UMS. 2. Camera system 3. Samsung TV 4. Playstaton4

UMS was essentially PnP at that point I never had any issues. I even added a switch to the LAN downstairs and added two more PS4's(don't ask we have a lot of playstations)

Google Fiber is installed.....They put in a WiFi router that has 1 LAN out. They install some kind of repeater upstairs. There were 3 other devices that were using LAN outputs so the tech installs a switch it's a NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch. $30 and I had it sitting around. So the chain is.....

Google WiFi router---NetGear Switch---ArloCamera/UMS computer/SamsungTV/Playstation

I made sure the WiFi was on UPnP.. What else can I do?
Nadahar

Re: Google Fiber install now UMS isn't working

Post by Nadahar »

What matters isn't really what devices are connected, but the "network path" between the UMS server and the renderers. They must all be on the same IP subnet. Your new router probably splits the wired and the wireless in two different IP subnets, which will break UPnP. Also, enabling UPnP in your router has nothing to do with UMS' use of UPnP - UPnP is an "umbrella standard" with different "substandards". UMS use what's called UPnP AV, while routers use UPnP IGD. These standards have nothing in common except that they're governed by the "fundamental rules common to all UPnP standards". It means that they can discover/see each other, but they cannot communicate.

I would recommend everybody to keep UPnP off in their routers, because enabling it allows any software that runs on any device on your local network to punch holes in your router's firewall without you knowing it. This came to be because so many people struggle to configure port forwarding manually when they need to open a port for some software they use, like a torrent client or similar that needs to be reachable from the internet. Still, I think that UPnP IGD is just crazy, as it has no security mechanism whatsoever, no authentication, no way to limit what can be opened.

So, forget about "UPnP in your router" and make sure that UMS and the renderers are on the same IP subnet.
DanVan4000

Post by DanVan4000 »

So...I'm pretty good with computers. Good enough to get UMS to work one time but when you say "make sure that UMS and the renderers are on the same IP subnet" ummm what's that and how do I do that?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There's no easy way to explain that, it depends on how you organize your local network. You can read about subnets here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork

UPnP does not traverse subnets, so I see it as quite likely that your new router created two separate subnets for wired and wireless. Some routers do that, and the fix is to configure the router in a different way. If that can't be done, either because you don't control the router or because the router doesn't allow it, you're out of luck. The only option then is to make sure that both UMS and all renderers are all either wired or all wireless.