Nexus 7 2013 problems...

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Tyestor

Nexus 7 2013 problems...

Post by Tyestor »

Hi. I should preface this with the following: I have no plans of ever transferring files over to my tablet, I will always use UMS to play the files. Basically, I'm having a problem with my tablet. I have it setup with MX Player as the media player, BubbleUpNp/DLNA as the DLNA client and UMS as the media server (obviously). It plays all files I throw at it. It doesn't play every file I throw at it flawlessly though. It's having trouble playing 10-bit files, even after overclocking the CPU to almost 2ghz. I'm not surprised by this as 10-bit isn't supported by H/W acceleration yet. It drops a shit ton of frames playing a h.264 1080p 10-bit @ 10mb/s video with a 24-bit flac audio file and still stutters slightly playing a much softer h.264 720p 10-bit @ 2.8mb/s video with an AAC audio file. However, it doesn't have any trouble with 1080p 8-bit files. I was wondering if it was possible to make it so that UMS would only transcode files to my Nexus (leaving all other files untouched) if it's a 10-bit file?

EDIT: Oh and I also get a also of weird errors in the UMS logs which I never get when streaming to my PS3. I never get lag to my PS3 no matter what I stream, 8-bit/10-bit/FLAC etc...probably because it transcodes everything as all my stuff is in mkv and h.264. Anyway, that's for another thread. I'll post the logs up soon, it might have something to do with the android.conf being...barebones to say the least.

EDIT 2: Here's another thread I made a while back that has more information on what I did to reach this point. I managed to work out what I wanted to do. It's just a bit of a history lesson, heh.

EDIT 3: Logs added. Looks like a bunch of errors appear before I even start playing the file. I played three files. First one is the 10-bit 1080p with FLAC. Second is 10-bit 720 with AAC. Third is 8-bit 1080p with AC3.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(70.96 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
DeFlanko

Re: Nexus 7 2013 problems...

Post by DeFlanko »

The problem is ... 10-bit videos... no Android device Hardware or Software can properly decode it..

You should handbrake your videos down to something more compatible and usable... but keep your original 10-bits off to the side for when the features become more available to android devices.

This was after I read through some XDA threads

XDA-Developers - Watching 720p 10bit Anime
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

DeFlanko wrote:The problem is ... 10-bit videos... no Android device Hardware or Software can properly decode it..
I know that, that's why I'm asking if there's a way to transcode ONLY 10-bit video. My PS3 plays 10-bit video perfectly fine when I stream it over the network with UMS even though it doesn't support 10-bit video. That's because it gets transcoded. Also, what about the errors in the logs? What do they mean? They're probably unrelated but they should still probably be looked at.

EDIT: Looks like someone else has the same errors as I do, it's related to transcoding: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1476 - Might explain why when I put mkv in the "force transcoding for the following extensions" field, the file doesn't play on my N7.
Last edited by Tyestor on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

i would think you would need to customMencoderOptions to convert those videos on the fly.
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

DeFlanko wrote:i would think you would need to customMencoderOptions to convert those videos on the fly.
What do you mean?
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

??
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Like so for example... what im trying to do with my SamsungMobile.conf:

Code: Select all

CustomMencoderOptions = -channels 2 \
-lavdopts debug=0:threads=4 \
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=aac:abitrate=192
Because for whatever reason Android 4.3 stopped using the ability to use mp2 as an acceptable audio stream. So im trying to get it to work with aac.
Tyestor

Post by Tyestor »

This doesn't really help me, I have no idea what any of that means. I have no idea how to accurately edit the android.conf to get it to transcode 10-bit (hi10p) h.264 files down to 8-bit h.264. I have no idea how to do that with the custom mencoder parameters (under the mencoder tab). You said it yourself, there is no android device currently out that can decode 1080p 10-bit files lag-free because hardware decoding isn't supported (it's not even supported on PC yet). What android CAN do (at least mine can) is decode 1080p 8-bit files because it has hardware decoder support. All I need to be able to do is tell UMS to transcode the 10-bit files as 8-bit to my N7 (just like it does to my PS3) but I have no idea how it does that). Maybe sharkhunter or subjunk can help.