Making Subtitles Work with LAV Filters

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
CardcaptorRLH85

Making Subtitles Work with LAV Filters

Post by CardcaptorRLH85 »

Since I see better video performance on my desktop PC using MPC-HC + ffdshow + LAV Filters than I did using CCCP, I'm trying to switch to that method of video decoding. The problem is that I seem to have missed something concerning making subtitles work in videos using UMS with this method. I know that in MPC-HC I've had to specifically setup LAV Splitter, LAV Video Decoder, and DirectVobSub as preferred in the External Filters options to make my subtitles work properly there but I don't know exactly how to do that for UMS.

What I've had to do in the interim is, using Win7 DirectShow Filter Tweaker, temporarily set ffdshow as my default 32-bit h.264 video codec. Also, I checked the box in the ffdshow video decoder settings to force subtitles to display when videos with subtitles are decoded with ffdshow. That works as an interim solution but, on my system ffdshow is probably the slowest decoding method of those available. I know that with CCCP I had to setup subtitles in Halli Media Splitter but I've set those same settings in LAV splitter so at this point I am quite confused.

In case anyone needs to know, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (although I've installed 32-bit versions of every program I've described here), along with the (as of this writing) current versions of MPC-HC, ffdshow, and LAV Filters. Along with, of course, UMS v 1.3.0.

UPDATE: Ok, here's an update. I forgot to note which engine I was using >_< I'm using the Avisynth+Mencoder engine but, I don't think that I need to use it anymore since LAV Filters includes support for GPU rendering. So, I went ahead and switched over to MEncoder alone and what do you know, it works! I have subs ^_^ I just need to know if my hardware rendering will working properly with MEncoder on its own. Based on what I've seen, it's not. Using MEncoder on its own I see processor usage around 50-70% but with Avisynth/MEncoder I'm getting 30-50%.

I've read that people have used GraphStudio to show the filter graphs from PMS before but I just dug through all of the forums over there and I couldn't find instructions on how to make it work with MEncoder. So, how can I make GraphStudio work with MEncoder? I have it working with MPC-HC on my computer but for some reason, when I try to access a graph from UMS one of two things happens. With the AviSynth/MEncoder engine, I see two mencoder.exe remote graphs and the program freezes up when I try to select either. With the MEncoder engine, I don't see any remote graphs at all.

Thanks for any help that you may be able to give me with this. I've been searching for hours and I haven't found a single clue >_<