SUbtitles problem - LG TV

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Duf

SUbtitles problem - LG TV

Post by Duf »

Hi there,
I am experiencing problem with subtitles and didn't find answer in other posts. Problem is, that subtitles does not show while playing video on TV (LG). It only says in file name , that file has external subtitle {External Subtitle}, but it does not show up. I can find file in Transcode folder, which displays subtitles correctly (so there is no problem with codepage and subtitles are found by UMS correctly). But in this file I cannot rewind and browsing to this folder and selecting apropriate file is quite complicated to explain to other family members :D Is there any possible way to get subtitles to regular files? I believe it is just one checkbox I missed or some code line in some .conf file?
Thanx for advice ...
Duf

Re: SUbtitles problem - LG TV

Post by Duf »

well, just solved - changed renderer from specific model to LG Smart TV Upgrader and it works now ... :)
tonypisa

Post by tonypisa »

Hi, have the same problem with my (non-smart) LG 42LM3400-ZA, which UMS originally recogniseed as an LG42LA644V, on which setting subs did not work though UMS displayed the video with the {EXTERNAL SUBS} addon. I tried switching to LG Upgrader (setting it as default and not loading the LG42LA644V renderer) , with no luck. I have also tried adding supported subs in the config file, but also no go. Any other suggestions?
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Sorry guys but it seems to me that LG TVs don't support streaming subtitles via DLNA or we don't know how the support is done. In that case only transcoding is working. I will fix the code to not show {EXTERNAL SUBS} for renderers not capable of this feature.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

From past {External Subs} represented existing external subs only. If UMS will play them it depended on audio/subs preference.
So for someone it can be little bit misleading but on the other hand it was useful for people so they were sure subs are detected (so not corrupted, wrongly named etc.) and exist.
Then it was easy to load them via TRANSCODE folder if UMS didn't it automatically due to incorrect preference set.
Maybe for these people removing this "text" will confuse them 8-)
Btw. @valib, are streamed subs loaded when name is not exactly named as video but lang-tag is added (moviename.cs.srt)?
I think there are many who name subs correctly (it means with lang tag added) :idea:
Thx!
AngelShine

Post by AngelShine »

valib wrote:Sorry guys but it seems to me that LG TVs don't support streaming subtitles via DLNA or we don't know how the support is done. In that case only transcoding is working. I will fix the code to not show {EXTERNAL SUBS} for renderers not capable of this feature.
I believe I got subtitles to work on my LG TV, I mentioned this on a thread I opened about an issue with an Exception in the log.
At least I think it is streaming (the TV lets me change the sub text color, so it is not getting embeded with transcoding or anything like that).
Here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1580
DmitryChulkov

Post by DmitryChulkov »

for more info about LG go here http://mans.io/brand/LG