Can't play mkv files on my Samsung TV

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Algazero

Can't play mkv files on my Samsung TV

Post by Algazero »

The model number of the TV is UN46EH5300FXZA. It has the Allshare feature and works as an awesome TV. But when I go to access my anime files such as gg's release of Attack on Titan (which is an MKV file) it says the file cannot be read.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(14.55 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
jps92

Re: Can't play mkv files on my Samsung TV

Post by jps92 »

Hi

You should update ums to 3.4.1 !
Algazero

Post by Algazero »

Already updated to 3.4.1. I'll update the dbg tonight.
grabbetterlife

Post by grabbetterlife »

According to my experience, the Samsung TV may refuse to play some of these MKV files with an unhelpful audio codec error message displaying right on your screen. In fact, MKV is just a container format, holding video, audio, image or subtitle files in it. The video and audio files in different MKV files can be encoded with different codecs. For example, an MKV file with DTS audio can't be rendered on Samsung TV. To fix the problem, you need to convert MKV to a fully compatible format with Samsung TV.

Here is a workaround for you: http://www.idealshare.net/video-convert ... v-mkv.html
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

grabbetterlife wrote:According to my experience, the Samsung TV may refuse to play some of these MKV files with an unhelpful audio codec error message displaying right on your screen. In fact, MKV is just a container format, holding video, audio, image or subtitle files in it. The video and audio files in different MKV files can be encoded with different codecs. For example, an MKV file with DTS audio can't be rendered on Samsung TV. To fix the problem, you need to convert MKV to a fully compatible format with Samsung TV.

Here is a workaround for you: http://www.idealshare.net/video-convert ... v-mkv.html
The main mission of UMS is to convert the files on the fly for the renderer (ie Samsung TV) to play it seamlessly, so preconverting the file goes against what UMS is made for. I suggest you work with the config files and logs to make sure the offending MKVs are processed properly and then contribute back any changes on the profile to the community.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
timmdd

Post by timmdd »

Well, I think you might need to convert MKV DTS to MP4 AC3, or other supported formats by Samsung Smart TV.
Last edited by timmdd on Thu May 25, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
successfullyday

Post by successfullyday »

I highly recommend Avdshare Video Converter
can easily convert MKV to Samsung TV with only three clicks: import the MKV files, set the output format, and start to convert.You can get it at http://www.avdshare.com/mkv-to-samsung-tv-converter
Beverly

Post by Beverly »

Though Smart TV claims to support MKV files, sometimes we still encounter TVs won’t play MKV issues. Can Smart TV play MKV files? Why Smart TVs play some of the MKV videos but not others? Simply follow this article with Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate to get the reason and solution for TV MKV symptoms. Source: Play MKV Files on Samsung TV
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Algazero, Your log is not useful.
You need to produce your log only after having tried the MKV or other movies/series that give you issues.

I'm curious, and wondering why you use a so old UMS version ?
Algazero

Post by Algazero »

this original post was done quite some time ago. Now I'm up to date with the release and sadly this one is not picking up my ps3, samsung TV, or my ps4.