UMS Server won't show

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Heckler

UMS Server won't show

Post by Heckler »

I'm using UMS 3.3.0 and i can't get it to work with ym Sony Home Theatre System, the server just will not show up no matter what i try. I can get the server to show up in WMP, but it doesn't display any folders or files. I have attached my debug files, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(15.03 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
SpeedyQ

Re: UMS Server won't show

Post by SpeedyQ »

Based on your debug.log I think you have two issues:
1. a firewall issue on your Windows 8 machine where you run UMS.
2. a renderer detection issue

To quickly check issue 1 you can temporary disable your firewall on windows 8 and see if directories show up on wmp.
If this is the issue, search the forum on "firewall"; I have helped people before on setting the correct rules for ports to be opened in the firewall.

For issue 2 I'm not completely sure but following lines,
INFO 2014-01-07 22:58:52.854 [New I/O worker #1] No IP filter specified, access granted to /10.0.0.6
INFO 2014-01-07 22:58:52.857 [New I/O worker #1] Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers: User-Agent: Java/1.6.0_18
suggest that your Home Theater system has ip 10.0.0.6 and has no renderer config in UMS which detects the User-Agent string "Java/1.6.0_18".
I would expect that it would try to use the default renderer, but apparently not.
This would mean you have to make a renderer config file yourself. Via the faq you can read how to set it up; start with the standard ps3.conf, replace the User-Agent string in the file with Java/1.6.0_18 and take it from there. (also read the README.txt in the Renderers directory).

Oh, and also check if UMS is running with Administrator rights; just in case it does have the credentials to access and share the media directories that you intend to share.

Hope this will get you started in the right direction....
Heckler

Post by Heckler »

Thanks for the reply. I had made an exception for UMS in my firewall but as per your suggestion i turned it off completely but the folders and files still won't show in WMP. My Home Theater system is actually on 10.0.0.10, 10.0.0.6 is a NAS that is set up for nothing but storage and has no rendering capability so i'm not sure why UMS is even detecting that. Sometimes UMS will detect my Home Theater system when i turn it on, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Running in administrator mode also doesn't make a difference.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

It's a bit strange that UMS does not detect 10.0.0.10. So maybe you have to check your network first.
Take it one step at a time. Check your network adapter(s) and router.
Try to ping 10.0.0.10 from your Windows system.
Also, if you have a Android device, like mobile phone or tablet try install the application Fing.
Fing will give you a detailed overview of your devices on your network.
It will also show you for each device what services are running on your device.
So that way you can see if the UMS service shows correctly on your network.

If your network is ok, you need following checks on router and Windows firewall:
In your router:
-there must be some setting / switch for uPNP, it should be set to "enabled".

The firewall settings of your UMS server machine:
I checked my own firewall setup on Windows 7 64 bit regarding UMS and I have following incoming 'allow' rules in place that you might want to check in your setup:
- javaw.exe (TCP)
- ums.exe (Any)
- wrapper.exe (Any); you only need this one when running UMS as a service
- port 5001 rule (Any); the default UMS listening port (also if you're using a different port number you have to use that value)
- port 2869 rule (TCP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
- port 1900 rule (UDP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
I have not included the full path to the executables because that can be different in your setup.

Hope it helps...
Heckler

Post by Heckler »

Thanks SpeedyQ, i was able to ping 10.0.0.10 fine and Fing also picked up 10.0.0.10, but it did not show the UMS service though it did pick up the machine running it. I checked my router and uPNP is enabled and i made sure javaw.exe and ums.exe were allowed through my firewall. Unfortunately i can't open any ports as i use Bitdefender and they don't have the option but i have tried getting UMS to work properly with the firewall disabled and that still didn't help.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

Strange that you could not get it to work with the firewall disabled.
Because there must be a lot of users out there running UMS on Windows 8 successfully.
Did you also restart the PC when disabling the firewall? Restart UMS?
I'm not a bitdefender expert, but it seems there is something you could try. Read on their forum: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=44805
Apart from that I'm a bit clueless I'm afraid...
Maybe other users can step in and help with a similar setup Windows 8, UMS, Bitdefender.
Heckler

Post by Heckler »

After giving up for a few days i decided to try and get it working again. This time i did a complete format and re-installation of Windows 8.1. With nothing installed but system drivers, java 7 and Universal Media Server, and disabling windows firewall... it still doesn't work.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

Is there anything different showing up in your debug.log?
And did you try using a minimum network setup? (So only Windows 8 with UMS, router, Sony Home Theatre System)
This to rule out any interference from other network devices. And then again check debug.log.
I don't know if it's going to do you any good, but usually if you want to find the cause of a problem it's a good idea to go back to the most simple setup you can think of and gradually build it up from there.
Heckler

Post by Heckler »

The only difference is it is now more readily picking up my Home Theatre System. I've tried using a minimal network as you suggested and have also tried having my PC directly connected to the HTS via cat6, still no go.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Try using WMP as renderer on same computer, if it can find UMS locally on the same computer, then is more likely a firewall issue with whatever you installed in your computer for protection.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )