Empty UMS window

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
spartanhooah

Empty UMS window

Post by spartanhooah »

I have Windows 8.1 Pro and UMS 3.3.0. When I start it up, there's just a blank window. My PS3 can still see UMS, though. What's going on?
spartanhooah

Re: Empty UMS window

Post by spartanhooah »

Nothing?
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

spartanhooah

Post by spartanhooah »

I obviously can't do anything about generating logs because I have a completely blank window. Unless UMS generates some logs by default, which isn't mentioned in that post. Believe me, I did read that sticky.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

Ok but you did not mention in your post that you have no logs either.
So maybe something went wrong in your install.
Do you have java installed correctly?
I would suggest do a complete uninstall of java and UMS and install again from scratch.
After uninstall I would check directories and registery to make sure everything has been erased.
See what comes out of that...

And before doing all of the above check if you have any hanging java processes. If so kill and restart UMS.
If it still persist to fail do all of the above.
spartanhooah

Post by spartanhooah »

I did all of the above, and upon starting UMS the first time, I chose to do the configuration wizard. Which gave me a series of small blank windows and then a large blank window.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

I really don't know what it is, but from what you're telling, it does seem to be a UMS problem.
I would search in the direction of display drivers or Windows 8 problems.
I found a link with similar problem in an email appliction.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... f1be62b747
I don't know if it helps or if it will solve your problem but it's worth I try I guess.
Good luck. :?
spartanhooah

Post by spartanhooah »

Ok, this is odd. I just ran the program (second time after re-installing it, first being directly from the installer), and everything looks fine. All the UI shows up! However, the startup procedure seems to hang on "Checking FFmpeg font cache...", and nothing will respond to clicks except the quit button. But at least now I have something else to search for...

Edit: I restarted it, and it hung checking the MPlayer font cache.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

What about to wait a while so ffmpeg+mplayer cache is generated? (it is done only once after install or when font folder in OS is updated) Don't quit it before it is finished. If you will do, cache can be corrupted so when you will try transcode video to see subtitles, it will generate error=file is unplayable, without subs or with corrupted subs.
spartanhooah

Post by spartanhooah »

I'd let it be fore maybe five minutes with no change. I started it up this morning with the intention of leaving it running for maybe a half an hour, but it's doing the blank window again. I guess it's time to look for a different option to stream to my PS3 :(