rar + srt does not work now

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
kiptanoi

rar + srt does not work now

Post by kiptanoi »

Hi, I have allways stream out my Movies from my PS3 with universial media server, and I have allso not have any problem with the srt files when I stream from rar files.
But now I got from windows 7 to windows 8, and all I get now is HTTP error 500....

If I unpack the Movie, and play the mkv files direktly, then the srt files works great, but not when i play from rar formats....

Why?

Anything I can do in my settings or something?

Thanks
DeSjaak

Re: rar + srt does not work now

Post by DeSjaak »

Same here, it stopped working since a few months now.
DeSjaak

Post by DeSjaak »

I just realized that this post is a bit slim, the log file for this error is attached.
The ps3 does display the content of the rar media file, and the {external subtitles} flag is visable. However when the file is selected the movie starts without the subtiltle.
PaJson

Post by PaJson »

I know this is an old thread, but this problem still exists. Maybe it was never fixed?

Today I tried a lot of different setups to see if I could get it to work, but to no avail.

1. I put a .srt-file with the same name as the .mkv that was inside the .rxx-files in the same folder as the .rxx-files.
2. I put a .srt-file with the same name as the .rxx-files in the same folder as the .rxx-files.
3. I put a .srt-file with the same name as the .mkv that was inside the .rxx-files in a Subs-folder that I link to as an alternative Subs-folder (under the tab for conversion-settings/subtitles).

I either get a * {External Subtitle} or just a * on the file when it plays back, but no subtitle is showing.
This makes it impossible (for me) to watch anything that is in .rxx-files with external subtitles.
Any solution to this available?!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It seems this code was broken a long time ago. To be honest, I don't quite see how to make it work without making a huge assumption: That the archive only contains one video with the same name as the archive. There can be a number of files of different types inside an archive, which would make the logic invalid.

When you combine that with the fact that there's very little, if anything, to save by compressing already compressed video files, I'm not sure I see the point of implementing/fixing this. Why do you at all keep the videos in archive files? Is it simply to not have to unpack them? If so, it's a bad solution, as a lot of other stuff won't work properly when the video is inside an archive either. Our main parsed, MediaInfo, and other 3. party utilities we use to analyze media to know how to handle them doesn't support parsing archived files. This means that your parsing will be very limited, and might lead to all kind of other problems. To parse them, we'd have to extract them first - which would make parsing extremely slow.