UMS install as a service does not seem to work

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
robmckeown1965

UMS install as a service does not seem to work

Post by robmckeown1965 »

I've installed UMS and got it set up to start with Windows, which requires that I log into my server after each reboot so that UMS starts. So, I thought I would use the "Install as a service" setting. It creates a service set to automatic but not started at the time. I exit the Main Panel and start the service. The icon show up in my system tray, the service says it is started, but when I open the Main Panel again from the system tray, it indicates it can not find any renderers. When it is not set up as a service, it does find a WMP and Android renderer. What am I missing?
SpeedyQ

Re: UMS install as a service does not seem to work

Post by SpeedyQ »

Did you try running as a service with your firewall disabled?
Difference if you run as a service is that the program will use wrapper.exe to start UMS.
If everything is running fine with disabled firewall, you have to check your firewall rules.
And especially the one for wrapper.exe

I checked my own firewall setup on Windows 7 64 bit regarding UMS and I have following incoming 'allow' rules in place that you might want to check in your setup:
- javaw.exe (TCP)
- ums.exe (Any)
- wrapper.exe (Any); you only need this one when running UMS as a service
- port 5001 rule (Any); the default UMS listening port (also if you're using a different port number you have to use that value)
- port 2869 rule (TCP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
- port 1900 rule (UDP); used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP)
I have not included the full path to the executables because that can be different in your setup.
ahkenaden

Re: UMS install as a service does not seem to work

Post by ahkenaden »

Verified. For whatever reason, you sometimes have to specify TCP/UDP port 5001. I had to open that and 1900 (even though WAF has a freaking rule that opens it...) on my 08 server to get it to connect to anything.

EDIT: also check your network profile "location"... if it's set to anything other than "home network", WAF will block a bunch of other ports.