Embedded vs. External Subs

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
lfan

Embedded vs. External Subs

Post by lfan »

Hi!

My TV (Samsung F6400) loads the subtitle embedded in the mkv file. What i have to do to be loaded the external file?

Thanks!
SpeedyQ

Re: Embedded vs. External Subs

Post by SpeedyQ »

If your movie is named mymovie.mkv, your subtitle file should be named mymovie.srt and it should be placed in the same directory.
On your tv you should navigate to the #TRANSCODE folder, from there you can start the movie with any of the subtitles embedded or not.
Have fun. :)
lfan

Post by lfan »

SpeedyQ wrote:If your movie is named mymovie.mkv, your subtitle file should be named mymovie.srt and it should be placed in the same directory.
On your tv you should navigate to the #TRANSCODE folder, from there you can start the movie with any of the subtitles embedded or not.
Have fun. :)
The srt file has the same name of movie file.

In the TRANSCODE folder, MEncoder Subrip, the external subtitle works, BUT the options to rewind and forward are disabled.

How to force the reading of the external subs in the standard decoding?

Thanks!
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

As far as I know subtitles only work using transcoding. And forward and backward navigation in a movie is not the strongest point of UMS. I don't use it. Instead I use the Chapter option and set it on 5 minute interval. That way I can still start somewhere in the movie. There is also the option that UMS registers where you stopped watching the previous time, so that you can start where you left off. Maybe there are other options too but this is what I know. See if it works for you.
lfan

Post by lfan »

SpeedyQ wrote:As far as I know subtitles only work using transcoding. And forward and backward navigation in a movie is not the strongest point of UMS. I don't use it. Instead I use the Chapter option and set it on 5 minute interval. That way I can still start somewhere in the movie. There is also the option that UMS registers where you stopped watching the previous time, so that you can start where you left off. Maybe there are other options too but this is what I know. See if it works for you.
The problem of the subtitle in mkv is the same in Serviio.

There isn't problem in my old Samsung TV when i use UMS or Serviio.
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

If you have a problem with UMS that should be investigated by someone in the forum, please follow forum rules.
I'm sure that the experts will help you out.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

@Ifan: If your renderer.conf file defines support for streamed subs, it should work. Check PS3.conf for more info how to define support for it.