[Solved] Error browsing TRANSCODE, NPException on Log + ...

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AngelShine

[Solved] Error browsing TRANSCODE, NPException on Log + ...

Post by AngelShine »

Hello,
I've been using UMS for some months now, and sometimes I've noticed some strange behavior but I've never really dug deep into the causes.
Yesterday I updated from a 2.x version into the newest 3.3.0 which came with a new renderer that resulted in a new match for my LG TV (LG-42LA644V.conf), and some things that used to work now were not.
So I finally started digging, comparing with the previous match LGST600.conf, and creating a new renderer specifically for my TV (LG-42LS5700) with the best conf I could figure out.
All of this digging came with fantastic news, I though my TV (being LG) couldn't handle streaming with subtitles, and so I was using transcoding, but now I think it does handle it just fine.
When I say the TV handles streaming subs, I mean that I can see the codec is not getting switched from H.264 to MPEG2 (The TV shows the codec it's reading), and I can see and control the subtitles from the TV interface (text color, etc).

Although there is an issue with subs, one possible renderer config makes streamed external subtitles work, but not embeded ones, and another config inverts this. I couldn't find a configuration which makes both work at the same time!

Using "SupportedSubtitlesType = SUBRIP" will make external subtitles work (but not embeded in mkv), and removing that config (the default I beleive is a config with no value) will make embeded subtitles work, but external subtitles get broken.

An extra issue with using "SupportedSubtitlesType = SUBRIP" is a NullPointerException I can see in the logs when browsing inside a "#--TRANSCODE--#" dir, when trying to enter a subdir there, I get an 'unkown error' in the TV interface and cannot get in the dir. This happens only with subdirs for the media with embeded subtitles and not with the ones with external subtitles.

Other things I couldn't figure out are:
(all tested media are video codec H.264 and audio AAC)

With "SupportedSubtitlesType = SUBRIP":
1)Media with embeded subs will have a default (no transcoding folder) that appears in the TV as H.264/Dolby Digital instead of AAC
2)Media with embeded subs AND external subs will show {External Subtitles} in its default (not going into transcode dir) but will not be showing subtitles, although the TV thinks there is, because the options to change text color are enabled. These media show as H.264/AAC in the TV (as expected)

With no "SupportedSubtitlesType" setting:
1) The same media with embeded subs from (1) above will stream subs only if going into the transcode dir (which doesn't break in this case) and selecting the [No Encoding] option, which doesn't show any {subs} indicator, but upon playing it has the correct subs that can be controlled through the TV interface.
2) Media with external subtitles do show with {External Subtitles} as the default option, but no subtitles are shown when played.

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I wanted to include all the info I could think of. Let me know if there is any other info needed. I am attaching the log and config for the 'unkown error' and NPException case.
Attachments
ums_dbg.rar
(110.47 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
Last edited by AngelShine on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngelShine

Re: Error browsing TRANSCODE, NPException on Log + other thi

Post by AngelShine »

Sorry for the bump, the thread got pushed beyond the first page and I was wondering if perhaps something is missing with this report so it's not getting addressed?
Is there some better place to report something like this?
Thanks!
AngelShine

Post by AngelShine »

:?:
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

No you did good.

February was a bad month for me on UMS -- So two things you can do to expedite issues. (now)

1 - head over to Github and put in an issue ticket. (you wont be able to attach ZIP's there but you can reference back your uploaded here)

2 - download the latest version of UMS and re-replicate the issue (you did good by doing it in Trace)
AngelShine

Post by AngelShine »

I hadn't noticed this response until now, sorry!

I could try some of this again, not everything exactly since I no longer have the files I used for different tests.
Should I try it with the latest stable version, or go directly to the 5 beta?
AngelShine

Post by AngelShine »

I forgot to confirm that this error hasn't happened again with version 5 beta :)