Unusual subtitle question

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gareee

Unusual subtitle question

Post by Gareee »

My wife asked me something the other day, and I didn't know how to answer her.

I know how and do use subtitles on non English films, but some movies have only partial subtitling. (Like Thor Dark World. I could have sworn in the theater that the dark elves conversation was subtitled.)

Is there a way to run a movie with only partial subtitling like this? if I turn subtitles on and download an srt, I'd get the entire movie subtitled, right? Or do you have to hunt down a stripped srt with only the specific non English subtitling in it?

She was bugged by not seeing the dark elf conversation, so I told her I'd look into it.

I'm sure there are other movies like this, but non come to mind right now.
ExSport

Re: Unusual subtitle question

Post by ExSport »

You need separate "forced" subtitles. Then name it with "forced" tag and UMS should recognise them and load them automatically (if also correct audio/sub preference is set correctly)
Naming e.g.:

Code: Select all

moviename.mkv
moviename.it-forced.srt
Gareee

Re: Unusual subtitle question

Post by Gareee »

Thanks. I'll have to look into this, and see if they are available when videos are released. Since I've never seen any included with a video release, I'm guessing not.

I can't think of any features BUT this that is actually better playing from a disc.