problems with ums and smart tv

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ays

problems with ums and smart tv

Post by ays »

Hi

Let me say from the outset I am an old bugger (60) and although I've been around computers since the days of Z80 processors I only became aware of what UMS is able to do when I bought a new TV. While setting it up I saw DLNA mentioned and googled it. Long story short I ended up stumbling on this fantastic program.

I installed it and then tried it out to see what this is all about. At this stage I wouldn't have been surprised if it didn't run but low and behold I was able to watch movies I had stored on my hard drive in another room on my TV.

Now for the small (I hope) glitches I am experiencing:

1. Although a movie will load and play on the TV it can take 5 or 10 minutes before it starts playing. At first I just blamed this on my TCL TV thinking that it might not quite be compatible with the Visio TV renderer reported by UMS but on checking the forum I found others experiencing similar problems.

2. When it eventually starts playing it is toward the end of the film and I can only get to the beginning by attempting to rewind by the TV remote. The first couple of times I try this it just goes back to the same place it commenced playing but eventually the picture will either freeze or go blank for a couple of minutes and then start playing at the beginning. It then plays almost flawlessly from beginning to end. Again I blamed this on the TV but it would be great if we can fix this.

3. I had to say almost flawlessly above because on some occasions the picture freezes for a few seconds before continuing on. I have noticed that this seems to occur when there is a lot of detail on the screen eg. A flurry of snow flakes during a snow storm or a granite cliff with lots of rocks an crevices. On one occasion the picture froze completely and refused to continue past that frame. The only way I could watch the remainder of the film was to resort to a media player on my PC.

I have attached the log file as per your instructions and can provide other info if you need it.
I have also just done a clean install of 3.6.0

The film I chose to play took about 5 minutes to load before starting 34 minutes into the film. It took only 1 attempt to get it to play from the beginning. It played flawlessly with no freeze frames (probably due to it's low resolution).

Any assistance you can give me with these glitches would be greatly appreciated.

I have been experiencing problems with attaching the log file. See "help needed with posting". It now appears that I have a work around so here is a link to the log file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146 ... ms_dbg.zip
Optimus_prime

Re: problems with ums and smart tv

Post by Optimus_prime »

What sort of connection to your TV are you using, Wired or Wireless?
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
ays

Post by ays »

Hi Optimus,

Thanks for the reply. I am using a wireless connection through a high speed switch. UMS is detected by the TV and I can access all the relevant folders on the desktop from the TV. The TV also has the ability to play youtube videos direct and these load and play continuously even if they are HD. The complete setup of the network is NBN fixed wireless modem --> Cisco router (supplied by ISP) --> HS switch --> TPLink Access point, then wireless to TV (and everything else). Hope this helps.
ays

Post by ays »

I hope I haven't scared you off with my detailed description of my network. It is not as complicated as it sounds and I only mentioned the Youtube capabilities of the TV as proof that the wifi is getting through to the renderer at sufficient speed. Any help with these minor problems would still be greatly appreciated
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Sorry mate i haven't been looking into much due to work. Strange that Youtube is working fine but UMS isn't. Let me take a further look this evening into you debug. What speed of NBN you have (Nothing to do with the issue just curious)
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
ays

Post by ays »

I am on a 2 month trial at the moment, fixed wireless (about 10K from the tower) 12 Mps. It finishes in a few days time and I intend to go down to 5Mps.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

ays wrote:I am on a 2 month trial at the moment, fixed wireless (about 10K from the tower) 12 Mps. It finishes in a few days time and I intend to go down to 5Mps.
your 2 month trial should have no affect to your internal lan speed... thats only a provisioned speed from the ISP (router to internet) Everythign behind the router will be @wire/wireless speeds... (100/1000 wired or g/n/ac speeds for wireless)

so to me it sounds like you can pull Youtube just fine (so its not a DNS issue) but when it comes down to trying to access your UMS from your tv its not so good (thats an internal lan setting).

Now after looking over your issues it might be a renderer.conf file issue.. possibly the viso one..)

the best way for us to troubleshoot at this point would be for you to start UMS in TRACE. then recreate the issue, capture the logs using ums buttons. then upload them here.

my guess is that its because its wireless and your UMS settings is not set to wireless.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

your 2 month trial should have no affect to your internal lan speed... thats only a provisioned speed from the ISP (router to internet) Everythign behind the router will be @wire/wireless speeds... (100/1000 wired or g/n/ac speeds for wireless)
so to me it sounds like you can pull Youtube just fine (so its not a DNS issue) but when it comes down to trying to access your UMS from your tv its not so good (thats an internal lan setting).
DeFlanko, My NBN comment wasn't anything to do with his issues :) Just wanted to know what he had, as there's many different kinds they've rolled out and i just wanted to know how it was :lol:
How Ask For Support
ays

Post by ays »

Hi DeFlanko I have already sent in the log files. I can do it again if you need them but is the procedure you describe any different to what I have done already?
Is there a simple way to check UMS to make sure it is set to wireless?
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

ays wrote:Hi DeFlanko I have already sent in the log files. I can do it again if you need them but is the procedure you describe any different to what I have done already?
Is there a simple way to check UMS to make sure it is set to wireless?
Possibly... have you edited these two spots?
2014-06-04_10-24-51.png
2014-06-04_10-24-51.png (92.64 KiB) Viewed 13760 times
2014-06-04_10-30-58.png
2014-06-04_10-30-58.png (58.43 KiB) Viewed 13760 times