Not using Selected Network Adapter

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jugg

Not using Selected Network Adapter

Post by jugg »

I have a VPN for work from Cisco. UMS seems to want to use the VPN network adapter and not my ethernet card even when the correct adapter is selected. I have to disable the VPN adapter (which I cannot do while working) to get it to use the correct adapter.

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
Intel Core i5-2500K
12 GIG Ram
No Homegroup.

UMS.conf is as follows:
thumbnails = true
image_thumbnails = true
network_interface = net4
auto_update = true
alternativeffmpegpath = C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Universal Media Server\\win32\\dvrms\\ffmpeg_MPGMUX.exe
mencoder_ass = true
mencoder_fontconfig = true
mencoder_ass_defaultstyle = true
uuid = 8f0b3a12-3fb6-445a-8131-8e5ebc5fe4ec
folders = Y:\\Movies,Y:\\uTorrent,Z:\\New Music,Z:\\COMPLETE ALBUMS,Z:\\TV
minimized = true
hide_transcode_folder = true
hide_empty_folders = false
hide_media_library_folder = true
usecache = false
jugg

Re: Not using Selected Network Adapter

Post by jugg »

Followed the instructions @ http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... ter#p69263 and it is working. It's not ideal, but it works.
I have a similar setup (QuadCore, Win7Ultimate, using wireless network) and have the same problem with PMS choosing the VirtualBox virtual network interface.

My wireless card IS shown in the network list however, but unfortunately selecting it (and saving the change) and then restarting does NOT change what network interface PMS chooses.
It still selects the VirtualBox virtual network interface.

I've checked the PMS.conf file, and it is saving the selected interface correctly, so it appears PMS is ignoring the setting.
It used to honor this setting (PMS 1.50.1 release), but all releases since appear to ignore this setting.

As a work around you can use "Force IP of the server" (next setting down from "Force networking on interface"). When I do this PMS creates its socket on the correct IP, although I've actually still to test playback with the IP forced.

The only caveat with this workaround is that when the IP of your PMS PC changes you'll need to adjust this setting accordingly.

If you're not familiar with Windows networking, you can find out the IP of the desired network interface by doing the following:
1. Open a "cmd" prompt (using the Start menu, type "cmd" at the bottom to find the cmd executable, click on it to start it);
2. Run "ipconfig" to show information about your network interfaces;
3. Look for your wireless interface - it should be called "Wireless LAN adapter ...";
4. Once you've found your wireless interface, note its IPv4 address and use that in PMS to force the IP of the server.

Good luck.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the report jugg, I'll look at fixing it :)
Chyaddo

Post by Chyaddo »

:D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Chyaddo on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoni111

Post by stoni111 »

Hi,

After upgrading my system: Ubuntu 12.04 (server) and updating to UMS 3.3.0 I have the problem that UMS is not using the correct network interface anymore.
Before the update, UMS 2.6.5 worked perfectly fine with the configuraiton network_interface = eth0 option.

I followed the suggested workaround of setting the IP address, but unfortunately this does not work for me.
I'm running in headless mode.

Is there a fix in sight or are there any other workarounds?

Thanks and best regards,
Martin.
iliv

Post by iliv »

Code: Select all

cred.path = /home/iliv/.config/UMS/UMS.cred
uuid = xxxxx-x-x-xxxx-x--x-xx--x-x-x-xx-xx
minimized = true
audio_embed_dts_in_pcm = false
maximum_bitrate = 30
mpeg2_main_settings = Automatic (Wireless)
x264_constant_rate_factor = Automatic (Wireless)
hide_advanced_options = false
run_wizard = false
network_interface = eth0
Apparently everyone in this thread was using UMS.conf that is in root of a folder that appears after unpacking a distribution archive. That one appears to be completely ignored by UMS and instead a $HOME/.config/UMS/UMS.conf used. See a copy of mine for a reference. You don't need to edit it manually really, just run UMS for the first time in GUI mode, go through a wizard if you want to, then force your network interface in GUI configuration tool. Save, restart. Run headless, it will use the settings you specified in GUI configuration tool.

I guess you can edit $HOME/.config/UMS/UMS.conf manually and specify any configuration parameters needed as before. They just must appear in this file, not any other.