Subtitles problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cbsewell

Subtitles problem

Post by cbsewell »

I am playing MKVs and DVD ISOs with embedded subtitles to my PS3 using 1.4.0 of UMS. If I uncheck 'definitely disable subtitles', then subtitles appear when I play the files (if subtitles are there of course). However, as I do not want subtitles displayed all the time, I normally have 'definitely disable subtitles' checked. When I do want subtitles to appear, I go to the #TRANSCODE# folder and select a transcoded entry with subtitles to play, expecting subtitles to show up. However, this is not the case any more; the subtitles never appear even though I have selected a subtitled transcoded entry. The only way to get subtitles to show up at all is to uncheck 'definitely disable subtitles', but then they show up all the time unless I select a transcoded file entry without the subtitles. This is backwards to how PS3 media server and the earlier releases of UMS have always worked. Is there some setting I'm missing?
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: Subtitles problem

Post by SharkHunter »

Yes this is changed (https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... 3235e548cb) to more reflect the meaning of the name. If you enable 'definitely disable subtitles' you DON'T under any circumstances want subs right? This might be a bug that is fixed but the buggy beahvior was good for some people.
So we should perhaps have another option for this case.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
cbsewell

Re: Subtitles problem

Post by cbsewell »

Oho, that explains it. Makes sense I guess. But I'm used to the fact that selecting a #TRANSCODE# entry that includes subtitles would override that setting. Thanks for the explanation.