UMS FLAC support for ps3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Klidec

Re: UMS FLAC support for ps3

Post by Klidec »

I have my PS3 connected to my receiver via the S/PDIF connection.
I used to be able to play DTS Flac files correctly when the MEncoder audio engine was available as an option back in the day.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

From the beginning 5.1 Flac support was available only from video category of PS3.
Did you try playing it from there? Then definitely you will see MEncoder engine in TRANSCODE folder.
Klidec

Post by Klidec »

In the PS3 media server days it was working under audio section. For a while it was working under audio in UMS as well.
Under the video section I don't see flac's as play-able. They don't show up for me.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

You can search PMS forum yourself but what I remember is that PS3 can't play high fidelity audio from audio category. In this category files are played in stereo only.
Because of that Shagrath hacked it in way that high quality flac files were taken as video files so PS3 was able to play them in 5.1 as video folder supports multichannel files.
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... rath#p2598
Klidec

Post by Klidec »

I think the issue is that my Flac files were 2 channel with DTS encoded in them. Not sure if that is the right way to say It. When correctly sent to the receiver they play as 6 channels even though they are technically two channels.
My wav files are two channel as well with DTS encoded in them (play as 6 channels when properly sent to receiver).
All I know is what i'm observing.
With my PS3 using optical connection to my SONY STR-DA777es I was only able to get correct sound out of all 6 DTS channels with current UMS by disabling the two existing audio engines and converting my 2 channel DTS flac's to 2 channel DTS wav files.
If I try and use Ffmpeg to play the 2 channel DTS wav files it plays as if in slow motion and receiver only recognizes it as two channel audio not 6 as it should.
When they were 2 channel flac dts files I could not get any engine to play them correctly. I was not even able to get them to play in slow motion.

Many versions back, when MEncoder was an audio engine option, things worked well for these 2 channel DTS flac files. The receiver would recognize the audio as 6 channel DTS.
That's all I know. I wish I was more technical to be able to better troubleshoot this.
Love the product and the work the developers do. It's the best media server by far....
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Then please post log with working version.
As UMS doesn't support FLAC, UMS have to transcode/remux them somehow.
Unfortunately when external tool will start playing with 2channel audio which is in fact 6channels, in most cases it will "damage" this file same way as if you change volume on PS3 outside center volume position or if PS3 will use any postprocessing which will break UMS-->(PS3)-->Receiver path.
Log in TRACE mode/level should help if problem is MEncoder/FFmpeg version, used parameters,...anything....
Also if you have sample audio to test, post is somewhere.
Thx
Klidec

Post by Klidec »

Thanks for the reply.
I think i just experienced the 2 channel being "damaged" by the receiver when it should be treated as 6 channel.
I just got a new receiver and the same 2 channel DTS encoded wav's don't work anymore. Meaning new receiver is not playing them correctly. Old receiver does play them correctly.
Is there a better format to use for my DTS music? I've been trying to see how i could turn these files into true 6 channel audio files instead of what mediainfo sees them as which is 2 channels.
naks

Post by naks »

similar question to OP:

I have recently got some 5.1 FLAC music files, and when I play with VLC on my PC, it shows "Channels:3F2R/LFE"

but UMS is only playing it Stereo via my PS3.

I have tried different transcoding settings on/off: LPCM, Keep AC3, DTS, etc., but still no luck.

How do I play these files in 5.1?

Thanks
naks

Post by naks »

nevermind, I just discovered that if I play the files via the Video option on the PS3, then they play in 5.1 fine #doh :lol:
naks

Post by naks »

hi guys,

I got some .dts music files today and they are not playing in DST mode on my amp, only in stereo.

I tried the trick of playing them via Movies on the PS3, but it is not detecting the .dts files.

Any ideas?