Problem detecting xbox after PC restarts.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Whythenkill

Problem detecting xbox after PC restarts.

Post by Whythenkill »

I'm pretty sure this would be an easy problem for you guys to solve. After I get UMS to detect my xbox after doing random things like restarting the xbox/ums at the same time or one before the other or cycling the modem, I then tell others to avoid restarting the computer so I wouldnt have to go thru that strenuous process again. Realistically a computer is eventually going to have to restart from installations or updates and that actually ended up happening. So, assuming the UMS has a problem detecting the ip of the xbox I turned on both UMS and the system with no detection only to release the ip's and renew them then to get the box detected instantly. My question is how can I avoid this process whenever the pc restarts.

My connection is internet>modem>router>xbox

all wired
Skylion

Re: Problem detecting xbox after PC restarts.

Post by Skylion »

Go to Network Settings, Test Connection to the PC and have the Xbox run the test, both during and after the test it will scan for DLNA server. The Xbox is pain to connect to, however, once you establish a connection, and access the media server, the Xbox will save this connection so that it will automatically connect with the same settings as before. For instance, if you use UMS, and you stream music to your Xbox, when you restart your Xbox and want to stream the music again, it will automatically assume that the computer is turned on and using the same IP and same UUID. Also, make sure you have the cache enabled and built(AKA. scanned and up to date) as the Xbox makes good use of the cache feature.