Itunes Playlist Shuffle Issues on the PS3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
hundreds

Itunes Playlist Shuffle Issues on the PS3

Post by hundreds »

Hey all,

Long time user of PMS and more recently a convert to UMS, here. I just wanted to post an issue I am seeming to have that I have not been able to find any real answers to.

First off, one of the main reasons I started using PMS and now UMS is that I have always wanted to be able to access my Itunes Playlists from my PS3. But before PMS, there was nothing that could do that. Sure, I could share my songs, but I wouldn't have any custom way of grouping them. Playlists were the obvious choice. So I began using PMS / UMS and found that access to my Playlists on Itunes was pretty much awesome and worked quite well. Recently, though, I have noticed an issue. This is an issue that I am pretty sure has always been there, I just hadn't paid close enough attention till now.

Let's say I group about 150 songs into a Playlist and access that Playlist via the UMS server on my PS3. I choose a random song to start the session with and then walk away. I set my PS3 to shuffle. After the first song, the next one comes up, and then the next. They aren't playing in a specific order that I can see - not alphabetized or anything. I chose shuffle, so it should be... shuffling.

But here is the weird part: It's NOT shuffling. In a random set of 150 songs, it seems that the same songs play more often than others. They don't play more than once per session, and it SEEMS like it's shuffling, but it also seems like it tends to.... favor... certain songs...? For example, I recently started listing to Airborne Toxic Event. I have two albums by them - roughly 20 songs or so. In a playlist that has 1000s of songs and only 20 ABE songs, I can gurantee you that almost every single one of those ABE songs will have played within the first hour. If this happened once, it would simply be the result of true random shuffling, but this happens EVERY time. And it's not limited to ABE songs. Certain ones seem to be more likely to play. Not in the same order as last time, mind you, but they sure as heck WILL get some air time. Meanwhile, 1000s of other songs never see the light of day.

Am I crazy?

Is there some kind of hierarchy that Itunes playlists tend to follow?

Is it a PS3 only thing? Because playing an Itunes playlist on my computer never "favors" certain songs.

Am I crazy?

I would love to get some help on this. I hope someone has more of a clue than I do.

Thanks,
Jay

PS - I am also posting this to the PMS forums, as I have had the issue with both software solutions.