Question about Cache Database

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Dosageko

Question about Cache Database

Post by Dosageko »

Hello,
today i was updating to the current 64bit 4.1.0 Windows Version (java8).
In 3.x creating the database for my files was taking long time and at the database filesize was about 15GB. Browsing files was pretty fast because of the database.
I was re-creating the database for the same files but with UMS 4.1.0. The creating process finished (cleaning databse done) but the database filesize now only is 300MB and the process only took 10 minutes.
i re-initialized the database with the same result. browsing my files is not fast.. so i think the thumbnails are not saved on the database (well it cant be because of the database filezise).
The Library Scanner was scanning all Folders pretty fast but maybe just dont saving to the database.
im using the same config like i was in 3.x.

Is this a bug or is UMS not saving thumbnails for Images (*.img) anymore?
Dosageko

Re: Question about Cache Database

Post by Dosageko »

ok i found out something.

creating database is working again if i Change the "Default render" Setting nack to "unkown render".
normaly i use "playstation 3" for this Setting.. but on UMS 4.1.0 this will make the bug.
the database creating is working if i Change it back to "unknwon render".
i only use playstation 3 as render.

strange and i dont know why but maybe a developer will know why changing this Setting will cause the bug.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Thanks for posting Dosageko, but the Developers maybe able to help if you post some log's with/without the issue :)
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
Dosageko

Post by Dosageko »

yep i know its always better to keep the rules *shame* but if im right this bug must be easy to reproduce.. would be nice if someone can try this..

btw generating of the database still running (currently 11GB's)
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Making the cache database doesn't depend on the renderer. It is updated when you browse the particular folder so the cache is growing simultaneously. If you want to make it all at once for all folders you set in the Shared folders just hit the button "Scan all chared folders" and wait.
Btw I am curious how many media files do you have in shared folders when the cache size is 15 Gb?
Dosageko

Post by Dosageko »

i did press the "Scan all Folders"
Setting the Default Render to "Playstation 3" will cause the bug so thats the genereating process only takes a few minutes and after "Cleaning database" process the filesize of the db is only ~300MB.
Setting the Default Render back to "Unknown Render" will work. (generating will take much longer and the db filesize is like i expected)... too bad on every update i Need to re-generate this db.

I have alot of Images on an external hdd.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the report, Dosegeko. I actually traced this bug all the way back to when the default renderer option was made, in PMS 1.53 from 2012! I'll have a go at fixing it