Multiple instances

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Triplefun

Multiple instances

Post by Triplefun »

Please explain how I can run 2 separate instances of UMS

One to support a gigabit link to my PS3 configured for optimum playback - network 0, trans. qual. "lossless" and "16";
The other to support a 'sensitive' wireless link to a remote Panasonic Viera TV configured for managed playback - network 30, trans qual. "good" and "automatic wireless".

Currently, using my PS3 optimized settings, when scrolling through the directory on the Panasonic the log files shows a sequences of 'start' 'stop' for the various files when none were selected. Eventually it freezes and the network link restarted. I have attached the debug log file.
Last edited by Triplefun on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Optimus_prime

Re: Multiple instances

Post by Optimus_prime »

Hi Triplefun, hopefully I can explain this correctly. I've included two .conf files. You will need save these in a folder in \Users\{your profile name}\My Documents\. You can put them in a separate folder if you wish.
Now once you've saved them there use the UMS launcher "Universal Media Server (Select Profile)", it's in start menu, and select either the UMS PS3 profile or UMS Panasonic profile (.conf files)
Hopefully i've made them correctly and they work for you. You should only see the Panasonic one on the TV but you will see the Both on the PS3 (as i couldn't see you PS3 IP Address).
Sorry if this isn't what you wanted but you would have to reconfigure UMS everytime if you do it by the GUI, this is how i do a similar thing for my setup at home.
Attachments
UMS PS3.conf
(39.68 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
UMS Panasonic.conf
(39.71 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

The best way to do this in my opinion will be to just use one instance of UMS but use the attached version of Panasonic.conf, and keep the quality options at automatic. That way UMS should use different quality for your renderers.
Attachments
Panasonic.conf
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

Many thanks - hard coding the conf files has made a difference with the access on the wireless Panasonic being a lot more fluid and stable. The PS3 is static at 192.168.1.7 - should I force this in the conf file. Likewise should I give the Panasonic TV a static address and then load that to the conf file. If I access the TV and Panasonic at the same time then presumably both devices use the settings in their respective conf files.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Thats correct Triplefun, if you set static IP's in your .conf files and set the whitelist to the TV's IP it will only let the TV use that instance. I've set them in the PS3 one i made for you so you only need to modify the Panasonic one.
You could try the single instance version Subjunk has posted, but make sure you move the .conf file into the Renderer's folder in Program Files and use the standard UMS.conf settings file. It's upto you
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
xotox91

Post by xotox91 »

Hello,

I have a little problem with the multi instances. I want run two mediaservers over one lan port. One should play my music and the other my girlfriend ones. To do that I created two different UMS config files as discripted above. Unfortunately only one server in my network was found. Always the last I started or if I restart the server only the last I restarted. Can you tell me what I do wrong? There are no errors in the log but a java exception.

Thank you very much for your help!
Attachments
conf_debug_multi_instances.zip
config and log files from my multi instance server
(46.73 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
jasonpeek00

Post by jasonpeek00 »

I'm still confused. I want to setup two different servers; one with my kids stuff and one with mine. I tried manually changing the conf files but they keep changing to whatever the last setting was. Is there a place to get some step by step directions for this? Thank you in advance
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Normally UMS uses one location for the config "C:\ProgramData\UMS"
You should be able to choose another if you launch the UMS with the "Universal Media Server (Select Profile)" - shortcut
xotox91

Post by xotox91 »

Hello I use two instances of UMS under Windows Server. One for movies and one for music. Until now I start the different instances with the "Universal Media Server (Select Profile)" - shortcut. So far everything works fine. Now I want to automate the start of UMS. Is there a possibility to start UMS with a custom .conf file which is located in a certain path with a little batch script? Or could I replace the attribute "profiles" in the shortcut with a complete path to the certain .conf file?

Thank you very much for your help.