How to let my girlfriend connect to my UMS server?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
hbuus

How to let my girlfriend connect to my UMS server?

Post by hbuus »

I'm completely new to UMS which I have just installed a couple of hours ago.
I've checked that it works: I can reach my UMS server via my Samsung TV's USB-wifi connection and play music from my UMS server on my tv.
So far so good.

Now I'd like to give my girlfriend access to my UMS server, so she can play the music on my server when she's home at her own place (5 KM away).
EDIT: I'd also like to give her access to the movies I have stored on my HD and added to my UMS server.

I've done this so far:

1) Added UMS to the list of programs that are allowed public connections through my Windows firewall (I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit)
EDIT: 2) Added this program as above too: wrapper.exe
3) Added port 5001 so that public incoming TCP-connections are allowed through my Windows firewall

Is this right?

What else do I need to do in order to let my girlfriend access my UMS server from her pc?
And how do my girlfriend go about connecting to my UMS server from her pc?

From surfing the web I read that Foobar2000 can be used as a client and I've installed the necessary plug-in in Foobar2000 and played a little with it.
But I need some help.
The client doesn't have to be Foobar2000 - I think it's best if my girlfriend gets to use the most easy-to-use client.

As you can no doubt tell I am a bit of a newbie to networking etc. so I hope you will bear with me for being ignorant :)

Thanks!
Spelled

Re: How to let my girlfriend connect to my UMS server?

Post by Spelled »

I have tried using VPN and mapping drives with no luck...the stream requires too much bandwidth (I have 75 dl/ul).
The best way for her to access it is through the web portal.
You will have to enable port forwarding (or put the host in a dmz (not recommended)).
This is how I watch my shows at work...works great!
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Like Spelled says the web interface is the best/easiest way to make this work. Do make things even better (depending on your paranoia level) you can make your girlfriend have "limited" access rights.
See this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2266
I should point out that you should to your UMS.cred file (look under the plugin tab you'll find easy ways to edit this file) you should add

Code: Select all

web=<girlfirend user id here>,<some password>
this will at least give you some security :)
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Rule: Document it, document it, document it,...one one place (ums.conf? or somewhere visible) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sorry for spamming again 8-)