ffmpeg and subtitles size

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Fixet

ffmpeg and subtitles size

Post by Fixet »

Hello!

Just installed new version of UMS. I've been using Menocoder with PS3MS but would like to test ffmpeg with UMS. For some reason, if using ffmpeg, the subtitle size is too big and even if I change the value it doesn't help. I've enabled Fontconfig and disabled "defer to mencoder...:" option at ffmpeg settings screen. If using Mencoder, all is well. So should I just stick with mencoder or is there something i'm doing wrong?
Vallimar

Re: ffmpeg and subtitles size

Post by Vallimar »

ffmpeg still doesn't work well with some subs. I haven't done any kind of tracking but I think the problem is mostly with styled subs. It works fine for everything else so you can set ffmpeg as your default and set the 'defer to mencoder' option. Or manually choose your preference via the transcode folder.
Fixet

Post by Fixet »

Just checking. What does that "defer to mencoder..." option actually mean? Does it mean that Mencoder processes only the subtitles and nothing else or does it transcode the file as a whole? So when you enable that option, ffmpeg doesn't do anything?
Vallimar

Post by Vallimar »

It means that if UMS detects subs, it will pass the file off to be processed by mencoder, otherwise ffmpeg will handle the file. The exception to this is that it was fixed so that choosing ffmpeg within the TRANSCODE folder will still allow you to force ffmpeg to process the file even if that option is set.

Both engines have their quirks, and you should realize that the way UMS uses mencoder, all actual backend encoding is done via ffmpeg libraries anyways, it just sometimes doesn't get things right on the front-end for the odd video here and there.
Fixet

Post by Fixet »

OK, thanks!
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Currently, FFmpeg does not allow you to change the size/position of the subs of .srt subs. I have very few problems with basic .ass styled subs, and FFmpeg will respect the style settings in .ass subs for me. FFmpeg has some trouble with complex .ass subs, like those with overlays and text in the overlays (like if they are replacing a foreign sign with English). Sometimes the text in the overlay disappears prematurely or does not appear. MEncoder does fine with those. Mencoder has a rare .srt bug that FFmpeg doesn't have where a line that is supposed to stay on screen for a long time will prematurely disappear.

Also, even if "Defer to MEncoder" is NOT checked, FFmepg will still defer to MEncoder if the file has embedded fonts, like anime, as FFmpeg currently cannot use embedded fonts.
rasa

Post by rasa »

In new version of ffmpeg we can specify font size by adding option:

Code: Select all

force_style='Fontsize=20'