Slow browsing on PS3 after updating from 1.5.0

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mikeaoller

Slow browsing on PS3 after updating from 1.5.0

Post by mikeaoller »

Hi,

after installing the 1.5.1 release, browsing the directories on my server machine from a PS3 is painfully slow; in opposite to 1.5.0 where it was quite fast. Any help / tips?

Regards,
Mike
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Slow browsing on PS3 after updating from 1.5.0

Post by SubJunk »

Nothing like that changed between 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 so maybe it was the recent PS3 update that caused it?
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

Have you set a memory level other than the default 760MB. My media rendering was getting slower and slower as the media directories expanded. I now use 1200MB and the problem has been largely abated.
mikeaoller

Post by mikeaoller »

Hi,

thanks for your answers. Except UMS (still using the same/default size for java memory) nothing has changed on the server system; even the media library is of the same size as before the update. Whalt could be the problem?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

You can do a quick test to see if it is 1.5.1 or something else, by installing 1.5.0 again and see if it runs fast again
mikeaoller

Post by mikeaoller »

No, is the same crap with 1.5.0, 1.5.1 and also 1.5.2. I don't understand: absolutely nothing was changed on the system.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It might mean a failing hard drive in the computer, you could try to find a program that tests the speed of hard drives
mikeaoller

Post by mikeaoller »

That's not the case; believe me :)

The "harddisk" is an 16-disk RAID-5 DAS volume attached to a SAS-Expander connected to an quite intensely monitoring Adaptec 6805 SAS Controller. If one of the drives would experience a situation with, e.g. exceeded S.M.A.R.T. error limits (not to speak about something as severe as a drive failure), I'd be notified on my mobile even before one of the two HotSpares starts to replace the faulty drive. Nope, it's not the "harddisk" (which, under normal circumstances, brings about 1180 MBytes/second).
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Sounds like a cool setup :)
Well we have established that the problem isn't to do with UMS, because installing the older version that used to work quickly doesn't fix the problem, so it must be something else. A neighbour leeching your Wi-Fi, a buggy motherboard/network card driver, you can probably think of some yourself.
You could try renaming your config file in ProgramData/UMS/UMS.conf before installing again, so then you get a new default version, it may be that you accidentally saved an option that slows browsing.
mikeaoller

Post by mikeaoller »

Removed everything, cleaned all directories and installed 1.6.0 with default settings - same problem.