Cover Art, Movie Info etc

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ujcdv

Cover Art, Movie Info etc

Post by ujcdv »

Hi

I need some advice.

I'm not sure how to go about getting cover art and movie info for my Movie and TV shows. I started out using PS3 media server and a WDTV Live, then I saw UMS and have been using that for quite a while now. I never did care about Cover art and stuff like that but the wife does not like scrolling through a list of shows.

So, I installed the movie info plugin but on the WDTV live it doesn't look good, almost kind of pointless.

I then installed Plex, it goes and grabs a bunch of cover art and movie info. The web interface is awesome, but still look horrible on the WDTV.

So, I then installed Serviio, it does the same thing, and it's cover art is cool too but not as good as plex. It also looks terrible on the WDTV.

I have now checked out the new Version 5 Beta of UMS, (I like the status page it's very cool and much more informative) just to see the differences.

My questions -

1. How come UMS doesn't do what Plex/Serviio does in regards to cover art? Why can't it go get it? I would rather use UMS because I don't have to transcode if I don't want to. And have the ability to transcode if something does not play. I also don't like being extorted to buy a plex pass or to buy an app for a set top box just to see the server. That is something plex/serviio both do.

2. Even if UMS did have the ability to grab all the cool cover art and move info, what media set top box could I purchase that would see all the cool cover art/movie info without having to purchase an app? I really do not care for paid internet streaming. I download all my movies or TV shows and watch them later on. The WDTV live is perfect for this.

3. If UMS has never had the ability to go and grab all the cover art and stuff, (and I have been using it for a couple years now), so how are you guys doing it? I know there is a web site out there where you can plug in your movie and it will get you all the cover art and stuff. I have used it before ( i forget the address) but I have over 10,000 movies and TV shows. I want something that does it automatically.

Any help or advice?
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: Cover Art, Movie Info etc

Post by SharkHunter »

HI first a question. Does plex/serviio both have an app on WDTV that you use and which shows the cover art etc.? If so then you have the answer to why they can show cover arts better. The trick is that DLNA/Upnp sends a XML file (could really be any format) with a bunch of simple text data. This text contains the name, a URL to the cover art/tumbnail and other metadata that can be found. Now it is up to the render to display this information in a suitable format. The server has no control over how this is done. The built in DLNA/Upnp client in for example my tv will display cover art/tumbs really small (say 64x64 or so) and only the name next to it. If it is a audio track it will display artist and album info once I start playing. The PS3 for example will not show any thumbs/cover art for folders only for the actual media (yes thats really bad). So the problem is not getting the coverart images the problem is that there is no way of controlling how they are displayed. The MovieInfo plugin could get coverart (and it should do that but it might be in need of an update) but that would most likely look the same as it does today.
As you might have guessed most of us probably don't care about coverart. And sadly I think the only answer is that you need a dedicated app to make the display look nice.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
ujcdv

Post by ujcdv »

Sharkhunter,

Thank you for the clear and concise reply. That answers my question, and saves me money as I do not like the fact that plex transcodes constantly even if it doesn't have to no matter what I do to the server. Why buy a new set-top-box and then buy an app for said set-top-box just to use a server program that pegs my CPU to 100%.

Screw that! There is a reason I like UMS better than all the others out there. And there is a reason I use the WDTV live. The server just works, perfectly. Even the Beta 5 version is head and shoulders better. And the WDTV just plays everything. I have never had a file not play...ever. I think I will keep the functionality of what I have over the nice looking stuff. The Mrs. will just have to deal with it.

Thx man
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

To answer myself somewhat more. WDTV do have an SDK and maybe even sort of an api which might (haven't looked in that deep) allow you to send even more metadata/info so that in can display stuff better/nicer. The MovieInfo plugin could be better integrated. I know taconaut (an old PMS developer) have a pms-mlx port which he as lifted to UMS that should do some of the meta data trix better than MovieInfo BUT again if your render don't support thumbs on folder there is no idea..
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
ujcdv

Post by ujcdv »

I would get another player / Set top box/ Media Renderer whatever you want to call them, to use with UMS if I could get the cover art easily. But from your explanation, I do not think anything I use will do this with out an app for the player talking to the server. The WDTV is actually very old these days I really do not think anybody is going to develop for it. WD was more than a day late and dollar short on that one.

I looked at Fire TV, from what I saw if i bought one, I would be paying for the exact same functionality I have now with out the cover art. You can have all that stuff with the Amazon prime and or Renting videos. But that's not what I want. I also looked at the Minix Neo X8-H and that looks super cool. I do not know how well it would work with UMS, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. But again, I would have the exact same functionality I have now. I'm thinking the android devices are going to take over. Maybe you guys should develop a UMS app for the Android TV Boxes.

Then you could sell the app like plex does :mrgreen: