Crashes and multiple mencoder instances

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
deurges

Crashes and multiple mencoder instances

Post by deurges »

After installing and testing several DLNA servers, UMS was the only one that worked without any modifications with my new plasma TV, a Panasonic ST50. Apparently, it is transcoding absolutely everything I have to MPEG2 and subtitles work perfectly (which is a must for me).

The problem I'm having is that sometimes the application simply closes, just dissapears from the PC screen without any error messages, and leaves between 1 and 4 instances of mencoder running. I'll probably do better tests this weekend to see what is actually triggering it, but right now it seems to be doing it after I fast forward or after I stop the video and immediately run another one.

Has anyone had this problem?

By the way, at first I was having lots of stutter and my bitrate was going up to 2000Mb/s, which sometimes crashed UMS and also left instances of mencoder running, but it has apparently gone away after disabling flow control on my NIC (Realtek gigabit on the mobo). I have also read that I should disable the Large Send Offload options, but I hate disabling or enabling things I don't understand (even when it works, like with flow control).
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Crashes and multiple mencoder instances

Post by SubJunk »

Hi deurges :) When it crashes like that, hopefully it still wrote the problem in the debug.log file. Please attach that here :)