Where is the documentation?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
twistedLucidity

Where is the documentation?

Post by twistedLucidity »

Apologies for the epically stupid question, but I have just installed UMS following the steps in the readme.txt and am now stuck.

Where is the configuration and usage documentation? I've checked http://www.universalmediaserver.com/support/, https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... diaServer/, and https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... erver/wiki but can't find anything that tells me how to configure UMS or how to use it.

What folder/naming structures are required? How to configure media source folders? What ports does UMS use (so I can open them on the firewall)? etc.
I can see that ports 5001 and 9001 are open and listening, but neither works in the browser (nor do 80 or 8080), so I don't even know how to get to the web interface!

I am probably being very dumb in not being able to find this information.

Cheers.
twistedLucidity

Re: Where is the documentation?

I found a very basic web interface at this location "http://<server-ip-address>:5001/console/home" after scanning the logs (located in ~/.config/UMS for some reason), but no information on how to configure.

I am utterly flummoxed at the lack of documentation.
twistedLucidity

Found a "documentation" folder in the UMS install folder and copied that to a desktop. It seems to contain basic details.

Such a shame this isn't documented in the FAQ or similar place.
twistedLucidity

The media browsing appears to be on http://<server-ip-address>:9001/browse

You need to wait a minute or two for this to become live.

Note: This is just a browsing interface, there is no way to configure UMS; it seems one needs to do that by editing UMS.conf
Dolus

Post by Dolus »

You should not have to do any of that except if there is a problem. UMS should work straight out of the tin.

Once UMS is installed switch on all your items that are connected to the internet and UMS will find them. For instance UMS finds my PS3, Onkyo receiver and Sony TV. Once that is done it is a case of finding the UMS icon on the PS3 or TV and browsing the hard drive on my PC for files.
twistedLucidity

UMS found my Kodi/XBMC instances and Android Media Player OK. What I was struggling with was finding out what the URLs for managing UMS were (if any), how to set where my media was, manage transcoding etc. No page on the FAQ or anywhere else stated that the documentation was only available within the downloaded files. Once I had edited UMS.conf and restarted, it seemed to work OK.

I'd strongly suggest adding a few words to the FAQ/Support page so that people know where to find the documentation and what the default URLs etc are. Also that UMS is not managed by the web interface, you have to edit a text file.

What I'd like to know is if I can configure UMS to read external data sources such as RSS feeds for podcasts etc. If this is in the documented, could you please tell me where that is?

Edit: Face/palm....why did I not sport this earlier?
natsos

Post by natsos »

@twistedLucidity thank you not just thank you, thank you a lot! for the info.. i was searching like an hour were the HECK IS THIS F..... WEBINTERFACE the faeatures claim to have.

No information at the faq, in the help file or anywere else! even it seems to be a great software the lack of documentation really is a huge problem here
Fairway

Post by Fairway »

Been looking for basic noob install documentation. But found noting of the kind.
Saw some posts about having UMS running in 5 mins. But it took me 2 hours and could still not use it. I'm not a wizz, but didnt know what to expect, so everything I didnt see could be a bug, a feature or a configuration mishap.
Bummer.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Our documentation isn't great but it should just work, why couldn't you use the UMS GUI? It should show up when you start the program, on all 3 operating system distributions.
Typical use of this program should never require reading documentation or editing text files, but for advanced use (not what is described here) our documentation could use a lot of improvement.