UMS can't be detected over 2 router network by ps3?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cnrhus

Re: UMS can't be detected over 2 router network by ps3?

Post by cnrhus »

Sharkhunter, I might try a temporary test run with that just to see if it solves the issue. However ultimately hardwiring the ps3 to the asus router does work with the room (routing one wire around a door is one thing, but 2? at that point I would try seeking some other solution, like downgrading the movie files, however as i mentioned above, I'm beginning to speculate the issue is not with my wireless connection, but with either the ps3 hw or my files).
Spelled

Post by Spelled »

I looks like you have the asus router handing off DHCP and the comcast acting as a bridge with a class a address. I would turn off the dhcp on the asus and turn it on on the comcast. It should hand out dhcp all under one class c subnet.
jj123

Post by jj123 »

sharkhunter, I've checked the SSDP packets as sent by UMS (Using Wireshark), and the TTL value is set to 32.
jj123

Post by jj123 »

cnrhus, OK all you should need to do (and by far the simplest solution) is to change the IP address of the comcast router to 192.168.1.2. I don't know the make and model of your Comcast router so I can't advice you on how to do this.

Until you do that DLNA broadcasts are never going to reach the PS3 as they wont cross subnets.
twistedLucidity

Post by twistedLucidity »

PS3 is going to do a broadcast* on 192.168.1.254 (I think that's the correct IP, either way, it's on 192.168.1...) saying "I'm here".
That's going to hit the Comcast router which is on 10.0.0... The broadcast will not normally propagate to that subnet.

Other than plugging the PS3 into the Asus router, the only other option I can think of is to have the Comcast router proxy the broadcast...which is where I am stuck myself.

* AIUI broadcast and multicast are not the same thing - I am not yet knowledgeable to give a break-down on the differences.
rbrandao

Post by rbrandao »

I had similar problem, and my issue was one of my routers. The router connected to my ps3 and smarttv had an option "IGMP proxy" disabled. After enabled, everything in my network could see UMS, even with firewall enabled. Check if both your routers are IGMP proxy enabled.

Edit: my routers are on different subnets. Ps3 and smartv are 192.168.2.x and PC (UMS) is 192.168.1.x. :mrgreen: