external subtitles streaming?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SuperDre

external subtitles streaming?

Post by SuperDre »

I just searched here, but I couldn't find it. Lately I've seen some devices which support external subtiles over DLNA, with that I mean, the avi/mkv/whatever and the srt are separately streamed to the player, which then handles the actual displaying of the subtitles itself (including positioning and sometimes even timing).
I wonder if there is any support in UMS for that.
endboarder15

Re: external subtitles streaming?

Post by endboarder15 »

If you are referring to external subs that were batched with the MKV file then yes. You just have to specify the sub language in the settings to get them to show up.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I think we support it with some devices like a Samsung TV or something, I can't remember since I didn't make the feature
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

endboarder15 wrote:If you are referring to external subs that were batched with the MKV file then yes. You just have to specify the sub language in the settings to get them to show up.
I think you are refering to server transcoding the subtitles into the videostream (so no way to turn them on/off on the player side).. or what 'settings' are you refering to?
SubJunk wrote:I think we support it with some devices like a Samsung TV or something, I can't remember since I didn't make the feature
I'll check how the samsung tv config is done for this.. as it also prevents needing to transcode for some files, or it also makes it easier to just disable the subtitles during the movie if you notice it going out of sync (not due to a fault by the mediaserver, but because it was for another release or something).