How to transcode to H264/H265 rather than MPEG2 ?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mortster

How to transcode to H264/H265 rather than MPEG2 ?

Post by mortster »

Hi, thanks very much for UMS, I've been using it for years and love it.

Something I can't work out (and I've done some searching) is how do you get ffmpeg or mencoder to transcode to h264/hc265 rather than mpeg2 by default ? My renderer is a PS3.

Most of my videos play with tsmuxer which I prefer as I know im getting the best quality, but for some it will switch to ffmpeg/mencoder, which I confirm by pressing select on the PS3 remote which will show MPEG2 as the video codec, rather than AVC.

I would just like to try using H264 codec rather than MPEG2 for those videos, although the issue I see then is that everything would show AVC as the codec, and I would no longer know if the tsmuxer or ffmpeg/mencoder engine is being used.

Hope I make sense :)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: How to transcode to H264/H265 rather than MPEG2 ?

Post by SubJunk »

Hi mortster, thanks for using and loving UMS :)
You can add the line "TranscodeVideo" to renderers/PS3.conf, so you'll probably want to use one of the following lines:

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3 or
TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H265-AC3

However I don't think the PS3 supports H.265 so probably the first line is the best option :)

You can also disable the "do not add engine names to filenames" option on the Navigation/Share Settings tab, which will then let you know which engine is being used.
mortster

Post by mortster »

Thanks very much for that information SubJunk, I will give it a go.

I do have my PS3 connected to a DTS capable receiver, and get the benefit of the DTS encapsulation in LPCM, would I therefore need to change the AC3 bit to DTS ?

Also, I have played around with the 'do not add engine names' option before, but I assumed it did not _always_ translate to what engine would actually end up playing the MKV - for example, I have ffmpeg at the top of the video engine order, but I have the option checked to defer to tsmuxer remuxing when possible. and im sure in the past it would always state the engine in the filename to be ffmpeg/mencoder rather than testing beforehand if tsmuxer would end up being the engine in use.

Hope I make sense, and once again thank you for a wonderful product.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

mortster wrote:Thanks very much for that information SubJunk, I will give it a go.

I do have my PS3 connected to a DTS capable receiver, and get the benefit of the DTS encapsulation in LPCM, would I therefore need to change the AC3 bit to DTS ?

Also, I have played around with the 'do not add engine names' option before, but I assumed it did not _always_ translate to what engine would actually end up playing the MKV - for example, I have ffmpeg at the top of the video engine order, but I have the option checked to defer to tsmuxer remuxing when possible. and im sure in the past it would always state the engine in the filename to be ffmpeg/mencoder rather than testing beforehand if tsmuxer would end up being the engine in use.

Hope I make sense, and once again thank you for a wonderful product.
You don't need to change it to DTS, it will use DTS anyway if the setting is enabled :) Yeah you're probably right about it not always being correct about the engine
jp0213x

Post by jp0213x »

SubJunk wrote:Hi mortster, thanks for using and loving UMS :)
You can add the line "TranscodeVideo" to renderers/PS3.conf, so you'll probably want to use one of the following lines:

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3 or
TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H265-AC3

However I don't think the PS3 supports H.265 so probably the first line is the best option :)

You can also disable the "do not add engine names to filenames" option on the Navigation/Share Settings tab, which will then let you know which engine is being used.
Hi,

Where in the config file do you add "TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3" Would this be under the header "UserAgentSearch = PLAYSTATION 3"?
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

Code: Select all

UserAgentSearch = PLAYSTATION 3

SeekByTime = exclusive
CreateDLNATreeFaster = true
WrapEncodedAudioIntoPCM = true
TranscodeFastStart = true
TranscodedVideoFileSize = -1
MimeTypesChanges = video/avi=video/x-divx
AutoExifRotate = true
WrapDTSIntoPCM = true
MediaInfo = true
TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-DTS
TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H265-DTS

# Supported video formats:
jp0213x

Post by jp0213x »

Thanks
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Is MPEGTS-H264-DTS a valid value?
DefaultRenderer.conf wrote: # Profile to use for transcoding video files.
# Options:
#
# Profile Video Audio Container Notes
# ------------------------------------------------------------
# MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3 MPEG-2 AC-3 MPEG-PS VLC only outputs 2-channel AC-3 audio
# MPEGTS-MPEG2-AC3 MPEG-2 AC-3 MPEG-TS VLC only outputs 2-channel AC-3 audio
# MPEGTS-H264-AC3 H.264 (AVC) AC-3 MPEG-TS VLC only outputs 2-channel AC-3 audio
# MPEGTS-H264-AAC H.264 (AVC) AAC MPEG-TS
# MPEGTS-H265-AC3 H.265 (HEVC) AC-3 MPEG-TS Only FFmpeg outputs H.265, others will output H.264
# MPEGTS-H265-AAC H.265 (HEVC) AAC MPEG-TS Only FFmpeg outputs H.265, others will output H.264
# WMV: WMV 2 (WMV 8) WMA 2 ASF
#
# These profiles are supported by the MEncoder, FFmpeg and VLC engines.
# Default: MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3
TranscodeVideo =
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

squadjot wrote:Is MPEGTS-H264-DTS a valid value?
I've tried and no it's not a valid code unfortunately.