UMS Does not start

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Xray_cat_

UMS Does not start

Post by Xray_cat_ »

Hi, I recently switched from PMS to UMS, partly because it seemed UMS was updated more regularily, partly because PMS had stopped working for me since 1.7.0. I couldn't start the PMS. I'd click my quicklaunchbutton and nothing would happen. The problem I have with UMS is exactly the same though, the program just doesn't seem to start. The only thing that indicates that I have tried to start the program is the small hourglass next to my cursor for a split second and then nothing.

I've tried to reinstall to no avail. I do not know what information is relevant if this is not enough to solve it so please ask for more if you need.
(Win XP)

Thanks in advance
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: UMS Does not start

Post by SharkHunter »

If you look in your UMS directory (normally C:\Program Files\Universal Media Server) you'll find a file called debug.log upload that one. You also migh thve given the JVM too much heap. Run the install progam once more. Ther will be a question during the install on how much memory the UMS JVM should get (default 768 Mb) try lowering it and restart UMS.

A final tip start the "Task Manager" Click the "Process" tab and look for a process called "javaw.exe". If you got one (or more) lying around even after you killed UMS you should kill those as well.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
Xray_cat_

Post by Xray_cat_ »

Thank you for your answer. Though it hasn't helped me. I lowered the heap size some times and I have it on 128 Mb currently but I stopped trying to lower it because I have not found the 'debug.log' you mention in my installation directory so I found the process of reinstalling pointless without the information that the log file would hold. I have yet to see any trace of UMS in the task manager under the 'Processes' tab. I hope you can help me further and if nothing else this might be some kind of feedback for further development.

Thanks again and in advance :)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Maybe try uninstalling Java Runtime Environment then try to run the UMS installer?
Xray_cat_

Post by Xray_cat_ »

Thank you! Why did I not think of this? I now suspect that problem is from installing Java JDK, maybe some conflicts between it and already installed JRE was the cause. I don't know. But it is Ironic that an interest in java programming (probably) caused me these problems. Just on a sidenote, I had to download the JRE manually because my connection would pause after the UMS-installation. I don't know if it was on my end, just thought I'd give some input.

I'm looking forward to enjoy your product again!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ah cool, thanks for letting us know about the download pausing. Cheers! :)
Darth269

Post by Darth269 »

I hope not to revive an older post, but I just wanted to add that this resolved a problem I was having with UMS not starting after an install.

I'd manually installed the latest JVM, and UMS wasn't starting, I removed both, then installed UMS again. After trying to launch UMS it prompted for JVM, and I installed from this. Now everything appears to be working correctly.