VLC Renderer really laggy.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
wazer

VLC Renderer really laggy.

Post by wazer »

Hello ever since i found out that VLC can be enabled as a renderer in ums, i thought it was cool since VLC is known for eating every file you throw at it perfect.

I got the problem that when selecting transcode of file >VLC< it plays perfectly fine for the first 10-12 seconds, then it starts stuttering the audio/video, this happens on all my TV's i have tried many different VLC including the latest af of 2.1.5. Also tested at friends/family, it seems that its an issue with ums or wrong settings somehow, i even tested with the experimental codecs etc, no luck.

Server is a highend 4690k cpu with 16gigs of ram loaded up on SSD, on a full linked 1gigabit network with no restrictions. Whats wrong?

I recorded a video on my phone, not the best quality but it can be seen that around 11-12 seconds in, it starts really to fps drop/stutter on TV screen.

http://wazer.dk/dl/ums_vlc_stuttering12seconds.mp4

Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(44.56 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
wazer

Re: VLC Renderer really laggy.

Post by wazer »

bump
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: VLC Renderer really laggy.

Post by SubJunk »

Hey wazer :) Sorry to say but our support for VLC isn't very good and I don't think it will get any better. I use it as my default video player because like you said every file works well, but as a transcoder it has quite a few bugs that prevent it from being on the level of FFmpeg or MEncoder.
I have considered removing it from UMS before but opted to just disable it by default.