[Solved] Embedded subtitle problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ravisdavis

[Solved] Embedded subtitle problem

Post by ravisdavis »

Got a problem playing .mkv files on my PS3. With some movies when I try to watch them - either by streaming or copying to the PS3, the regular file not the transcode option that also shows up, - the embedded subtitles show up. In UMS I have the 'definitely disable subtitles' option checked but the subtitles still appear with some movies. I thought it might be that I updated my PS3 to the latest firmware (4.30) but I cannot find any option to turn subtitles on or off, just change language. I have tried to reinstall UMS 1.60, uncheck and check the disable subtitles option (with saving the configuration) and still no luck.

Is there something simple that I need to do without stripping down the file and remerging without the subtitles? Thanks for any help.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Embedded subtitle problem

Post by SubJunk »

Can you please post a debug.log after reproducing the problem?
ravisdavis

Post by ravisdavis »

This log was after I copied over a file to the PS3, still with subtitles coming up.
Attachments
debug.log
(660.26 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hmm looks like I will need more information. Please reproduce the problem then go to the Traces tab and "Pack debug files" and attach the zip file. Thanks!
ravisdavis

Post by ravisdavis »

Here is the zip file. Thanks for taking the time.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(48.06 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hmm, odd! Can you try this:

1) Rename UMS.conf to UMS1.conf (for a backup), it should be in C:/ProgramData/
2) Download and install the new UMS (2.0.0)

Let me know if that works
ravisdavis

Post by ravisdavis »

Yup that worked! Something funky going on with 1.60 and my system I guess. I was hesitant to update right away until I found the root of the problem but this works. Thanks again!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ah great! Thanks for confirming :)
Gareee

Re: [Solved] Embedded subtitle problem

Post by Gareee »

I've been running into this same issue.. subtitles showing up even though definitely disable is selected.
I don't see a c:/programdata folder though to try the fix. (Win 7 64 bit here)

I did try to rename it in the install folder, but the new config that was created adopted the old settings (I could still see all my old folder settings.)

Is the programdata folder possibly elsewhere?

EDIT: Windows hid hidden folders after some system maint a month or so ago.. unhiding them, and following this fix cured the problem.

I've noticed that UMS does not auto decode bluray image files though... is this normal behaviour? (I can play them on my pc, but not off UMS on the ps3.)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: [Solved] Embedded subtitle problem

Post by SubJunk »

Gareee wrote:I've noticed that UMS does not auto decode bluray image files though... is this normal behaviour? (I can play them on my pc, but not off UMS on the ps3.)
Yeah that is normal, I have started working on adding blu-ray support so hopefully it will be done soon