What is a good reliable client for UPnP/DLNA for Windows

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
MrStripes

What is a good reliable client for UPnP/DLNA for Windows

Post by MrStripes »

I've tried Kodi, it's confusing and has no DLNA that I can find except a server, but no player, also videos do not render video, only audio, I turned off hw acceleration in Kodi to fix this, but the video is still blank.
VLC takes forever to load the playlist, and sometimes doesn't display all of the files. the only version of VLC that I could find that even tried to work is version 2.0.5, all other versions are far more buggy.
MediaMonkey will see the DVD files, but when I attempt to play them, it either stalls or says it's missing codecs, even after downloading the codec pack it suggests.

the problem I am having is that, I just bought the intel iView CyberPC, it's more aesthetically pleasing in the living room. When I want to watch a DVD, I wanted to stream this from my bedroom PC to the iView CyberPC
all attempts have sort of failed so far, except the VLC worked off and on

sharing the DVD through Windows Shared Folders also failed, the video tried to play but was heavily pixelated, same as when I shared it over FTP.

while there seems to be a lot of information online about running a media server, there is little to no information on how to actually play the media.

if anyone could give me tips or point me in the right direction for a good stable media player, it would be most appreciated. This is all giving me a headache,
oh yeah, tried Foobar2000 also, with the upnp plugin. This also didn't work.
Thank you.
Tyestor

Re: What is a good reliable client for UPnP/DLNA for Windows

Post by Tyestor »

https://mpc-hc.org/ (better in every way to VLC).

By the way, why are you using UMS to watch stuff on a PC? Why not just use windows inbuilt sharing and play it straight off the hard-drive? I only use UMS when I want to watch stuff off my PC on my PS3/Nexus 7. When I want to watch stuff off my PC on my laptop (or my brother wants to watch stuff off my PC) we just browse to my PC's HDD as if my PC is just another HDD of my laptop/his PC. UMS is not required.
SsJVasto

Post by SsJVasto »

Tyestor wrote: Sat May 30, 2015 11:58 pmBy the way, why are you using UMS to watch stuff on a PC? Why not just use windows inbuilt sharing and play it straight off the hard-drive?
In my case (and I'm probably not the only person like this), ums is running on a headless Linux server, and it streams to my Android tablet/PS3/PS4. Whenever I want to start a video on a PC, it becomes a pain because I need to copy the movie/episode via FTP and play it in VLC. I'd rather have a DLNA-compliant client (like VLC-For-Android which has a GREAT DLNA implementation) than having to download/delete content all the time. No, I don't want to add SAMBA drivers or whatever to my server, as that adds security holes, and I don't want Microsoft/Windows10 exploring/indexing/reporting my Linux drives.
nickhere

Post by nickhere »

I am confused. Cant you add the drive location of where the files(video) is kept to your headless ums server. To watch on a pc i just download the codec mega pack and use the clasic media player to watch it