Maximum bandwidth setting seems to be ignored

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
smirk

Maximum bandwidth setting seems to be ignored

Post by smirk »

Hi, I noticed tonight that the "Maximum bandwidth in Mb/s" setting in the General Configuration tab seems to not do anything, at least on my system. I tried watching a movie with it set to 30, and the PS3 said the data rate was > 80 Mbps at times. This caused the movie to stutter as it exceeded the available bandwidth. This is under UMS 2.0.0.

Could this have broken recently? I seem to recall it getting fixed not too long ago, perhaps there was a regression with the 2.0 release.

Thanks!
smirk

Re: Maximum bandwidth setting seems to be ignored

Post by smirk »

Anyone else seeing this? Or is there a different way to limit the bandwidth besides that setting?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi smirk,
Depending on your video quality settings, and the bitrate/quality of the input video, the bandwidth can go over. However it should be noted that the PS3 isn't accurate when reporting its bitrate.
You can use settings that allow it more flexibility.
I recommend going to the Transcoding Settings tab and changing the value of "MPEG-2 options" to "keyint=25:vqscale=1:vqmin=2". This will use less bandwidth than the default settings and is still visibly-lossless.
smirk

Post by smirk »

Thanks for your reply.

I will try that and see how it goes. As far as going over the max bandwidth value, perhaps it's something with this particular movie. I've watched lots of movies with no issues before, but this particular one spikes up to 80 Mbps (according to the PS3) and then like I said it stutters and gets out of sync, becoming unwatchable. So the PS3 may be inaccurate when reporting the bitrate, but the actual bitrate is definitely high because it maxed out the powerline network that connects the server with the Playstation. There doesn't appear to be anything special about this movie, it's a 9 GB 1080p file, it should work.

Anyway, thanks for your help!
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Never trust the bitrate what PS3 shows. Check it in PMS. When PS3 is under-buffered with data it can show misleading values like 250Mbit etc. which is impossible on WIFI or 100Mbit network. 8-)